Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,977
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
6 members (Theo Gallus, Augie, Fishingadventure, FishinRod, jmartin, Pat Williamson), 1,216 guests, and 377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
4CornersPuddle, anthropic, DrLuke, Eastland, FishinRod, H20fwler, Howie, jludwig, RAH, Snipe
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#551595 08/21/2022 11:38 PM
by STP
STP
Hello there, I hope everyone is well. My grand daughter caught this fella cruising about with a pack of shiners over the weekend. I only put 4 smallmouth in the pond so my expectations were not to really see anymore than just that (could have all been one sex and getting them isn't easy at the hatchery - or cheap). It's no shiner though so looking for confirmation or correction.
Attached Images
Liked Replies
#551599 Aug 22nd a 02:08 AM
by Sunil
Sunil
There simply may not be any better life experience than a smallie spawn in your own pond.
2 members like this
#551605 Aug 22nd a 05:45 AM
by Snipe
Snipe
On a side note here.. my expectations were to see hit and miss spawns from my SMB.. what I have observed is not what I had anticipated. What I thought may possibly be unfavorable spawning conditions have shown me I don't know Jack about SMB.
If they are "in" the water, it is highly likely they will pull off a spawn. Recruitment may be a different story but reproduction occurs in conditions the "books" say they won't reproduce in...
2 members like this
#551967 Sep 7th a 01:25 AM
by STP
STP
We were able to get out in between the rains this weekend and feed with actual eyesight and there's a few more SM in there than I thought. There seems to be a solid 10 or 12 feeding in the 5-7in range which is really cool, double cool they've taken to pellets or just learned from the perch "eat while you can". They stay very close to shore in the grasses though so my guess is they know the stripers exist or are just careful. I still plan on grabbing the farm raised ones from Fenders if he has them this fall, maybe some over winter FHM but other than that going to let it ride.

So far so good, thanks to you all and I hope you had a nice Labor Day.
2 members like this
#559336 Jun 23rd a 08:24 PM
by STP
STP
Well this took a turn for the ... better? The first year SM spawn all look pretty good, somewhere in the 6-8in range and this year another round. I'm not sure when it becomes "too many" and who knows how many will survive but SM most certainly will spawn in a southern Ohio, clay bottom pond with some structure. Of the original 4 I see one coming up at feeding time that looks to be around 15-16in, all the little guy & gals under 8in take pellets no issue.

Seems to be thriving at this point, thanks for all of the help!
2 members like this
#559359 Jun 25th a 05:09 PM
by Snipe
Snipe
Yeah, SMB are reproducing in TJ's Lepomis pond which is clay bottom.. Producing in my BG pond where I had a few escaped fry..
The "rules" on SMB have not been well researched in recent years by state agencies because it's against what they were taught.
2 members like this
#551631 Aug 22nd a 06:32 PM
by STP
STP
Me either, but I don't care if it was a "fleeting affair" or just "friends with benefits" - just happy to see the BOW supports them and look forward to seeing them grow up!
1 member likes this
#551973 Sep 7th a 12:31 PM
by canyoncreek
canyoncreek
Howie,
It bothers me that your state and my state (MI) still just push the standard stocking plan of LMB, BG and Catfish. Especially in northern ponds there is so much to gain from considering a minnow/YP/SMB combo or a minnow/HBG/YP/HSB/Walleye pond. For those who are OK with SMB being their apex predator along with perhaps HSB or another apex predator that does not reproduce, they can really have a great fishery. The kids still have fun catching the YP and SMB and the eating fare is still great.

Of course if you want catfish to eat then that is fine but at least here in MI if you talk to the biologist they seem to have a hard time grasping that there could be another option. I'm glad folks here have tried other combos and have been successful.

Dr. Luke follows the forum and has a pond in Iowa and could also give some state specific insights for you.
1 member likes this
#552020 Sep 9th a 02:16 AM
by RAH
RAH
I am in at least 6 years since stocking SMB and think they likely have been spawning for at least 4 years. If my friends or neighbors ever pull out any thin ones, then I'll try to remove more. I have 2 newish ponds with no top predators and also a BG/LMB pond, so I can always find a home for some. If anyone nearby wants 5-10 small SMB for their pond, drop me a message. I think that I can spare them. Only started with 20 stockers in a 0.9 acre pond stocked at 10 per year in consecutive years (from 2 different hatcheries).
1 member likes this
#559383 Jun 26th a 03:37 PM
by Pat Williamson
Pat Williamson
Originally Posted by Snipe
Yeah, SMB are reproducing in TJ's Lepomis pond which is clay bottom.. Producing in my BG pond where I had a few escaped fry..
The "rules" on SMB have not been well researched in recent years by state agencies because it's against what they were taught.

Guess the smallies didn’t get the memo
1 member likes this
#560201 Aug 3rd a 06:48 PM
by bcraley
bcraley
Eastland - The stuff w/ the purple flowers is Pickerelweed. I introduced it 2 years ago via 6 plugs that I ordered from an online source. I introduced duck potato at the same time but that didn't' take. The Pickerelweed has spread, but only in the very shallow areas. I'm in the process of killing off cattails in hope that the pickerelweed will fill in some of the areas that cattails are now occupying.
1 member likes this
#560257 Aug 5th a 11:21 PM
by DrewSh
DrewSh
canyoncreek, I just ordered this yesterday, best prices I have seen. We'll see how it goes!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/137189...1-1&bes=1&organic_search_click=1
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by FishinRod - 04/26/24 02:46 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by sprkplug - 04/26/24 11:43 AM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:39 AM
What did you do at your pond today?