Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
mistickslinger, annjieshuffles, jdulaney80, pkamphuis, MikeWeber3
17,826 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics39,882
Posts542,981
Members17,826
Most Online3,583
Jan 15th, 2020
Top Posters
esshup 26,889
ewest 21,063
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 14,324
Who's Online Now
4 members (Snipe, Pond Star, anthropic, CrazyCarl), 95 guests, and 110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
anthropic, azteca, DrLuke, FishinRod, gehajake, RAH
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#548212 05/20/2022 1:12 PM
by DrLuke
DrLuke
I put up the YouTube stream yesterday. I think she's about 3-4 days out from hatching them.

[video:youtube]
[/video]
Liked Replies
#549217 Jun 13th a 08:21 PM
by DrLuke
DrLuke
Finally got the video uploaded. And by finally, I mean by my son, who is my 'IT guy' and a really good one at that.

2 members like this
#549226 Jun 13th a 09:47 PM
by DrLuke
DrLuke
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
2 members like this
#548240 May 20th a 09:28 PM
by tdbdds
tdbdds
Dr. Luke-
I have a couple ponds in southern Iowa and have put up 2 wood wood duck houses and 2 plastic type house. Each winter I place new wood chips. I have been at this for 5-6 years but have never had wood ducks stay. I occasionally will see them on pond but never any chicks.

Any advice on getting wood duck to stay in houses. What you use to line bottom of house.

Tom
1 member likes this
#548259 May 21st a 03:23 PM
by DrLuke
DrLuke
Originally Posted by canyoncreek
Thanks a bunch for taking time to host this livestream and post it here! I love this post and also if you happen to be able to catch the 'jump day' from the outside, how awesome!

I too have failed this spring despite moving the duck house to a more sheltered place. But like you said above. I probably do not have adequate vegetation to hide the brood in. In fact I have none, although I have mature trees almost all around the pond and several huge oak trees. I'm curious about the acorn part of things. The woodies come in the spring and the acorns fall in the fall. I rarely see any acorns left by winter time and surely by spring they are gone (deer and squirrels eat them). Do you have acorns left for them in the spring?

I think acorns are a preferred food source, but definitely not an only food source. Mast bearing trees (aka nut bearing trees) don't produce a crop every season, and our trees produce every other to every 3rd year. But within a stand of oaks, several trees are dropping a bunch of nuts any given fall. The ducks always find these trees and gorge themselves. I have seen hens and half grown ducklings under our trees several times. But I know baby ducks are omnivores and will gobble up whatever tidbit they find while dabbling in the shallows, including bugs, slugs and snails. So I think they'll eat what's available at the time.
I guess even with ducks "it just depends". But the hen most certainly does some eyeball calculations about the suitability of a location for raising a brood. Our place is blessed with a nice combo of duck preferred cover and forage.
I suppose the motivated land owner could try and improve the duck friendly habitat around his pond. But I also know there is only so much time and effort and treasure we can invest in our hobbies.
1 member likes this
#548262 May 21st a 04:20 PM
by gehajake
gehajake
Im loving this thread myself, I have 4 duck boxes out on my lake, 2 homemade out of 8 inch pvc pipe and 2 of the duck huts, I have them about 6 ft above the water on 2" steel pipe bolted down to a tree stump that I cut off about 2' above the water, I'll get some pictures, I have had them out for this would be the second season now and don't think I have had any success yet. I should have a reasonably desirable environment at my pond, I have several acres of standing timber flooded out when I built the pond, I put the duck boxes sorta on the edges between open water and woods but shaded during the hottest part of the day.
I already have wood ducks staying and hatching at the pond, Ive seen the young, for several yrs and the other day again I observed a male wood duck floating around by himself in the middle of the day so I am convinced she is on a nest somewhere. the pond is only several yrs old so the flooded timber is not that old and rotten enough yet to be nesting material yet except maybe a really old dead tree or two that were dead long before the water filled up, 1 of them looks like it may have some duck sized cavities.
Really liking the live stream,, hoping I can get to find out when they hatch and climb out of the nest!
This pond is in north central MO btw. Randolph county
1 member likes this
#548254 May 21st a 12:37 PM
by canyoncreek
canyoncreek
Thanks a bunch for taking time to host this livestream and post it here! I love this post and also if you happen to be able to catch the 'jump day' from the outside, how awesome!

I too have failed this spring despite moving the duck house to a more sheltered place. But like you said above. I probably do not have adequate vegetation to hide the brood in. In fact I have none, although I have mature trees almost all around the pond and several huge oak trees. I'm curious about the acorn part of things. The woodies come in the spring and the acorns fall in the fall. I rarely see any acorns left by winter time and surely by spring they are gone (deer and squirrels eat them). Do you have acorns left for them in the spring?
1 member likes this
#548221 May 20th a 02:57 PM
by FishinRod
FishinRod
Fabulous live stream DrLuke!

I hope she turns out to be a great Mom.
1 member likes this
#549219 Jun 13th a 08:32 PM
by FishinRod
FishinRod
Good job Dr. Luke on helping Mom raise that big brood of wood ducks!

Good job by your "IT guy" to get the video uploaded and running!

Good job by your peepers to play a constant "drum roll" in the background to encourage the ducklings to jump out!
1 member likes this
#549225 Jun 13th a 09:42 PM
by DrLuke
DrLuke
Originally Posted by FishinRod
Good job Dr. Luke on helping Mom raise that big brood of wood ducks!

Good job by your "IT guy" to get the video uploaded and running!

Good job by your peepers to play a constant "drum roll" in the background to encourage the ducklings to jump out!

It's pretty cool to watch live. When she starts doing that low volume putting call, the hatchlings start going wild (like popping popcorn). I really love all things pond, including and especially the fish and life IN the pond.
But I'd be lying if I didn't admit how much I love the wood ducks. Very cool little duck. And the drakes would give any bird a run for it's money on 'cool paint jobs'.
1 member likes this
#549237 Jun 14th a 10:23 AM
by Dave Davidson1
Dave Davidson1
Thanks Luke.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
Gambusia
Recent Posts
Algae and Dying Bluegill ... a connection ?
by Snipe - 08/08/22 01:26 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Snipe - 08/08/22 12:55 AM
Getting started on a 50 acre unmanaged pond
by jpsdad - 08/07/22 09:32 PM
Blue Catfish supplier for Indiana
by FishinRod - 08/07/22 07:24 PM
Plants for LMB pond
by Bill Cody - 08/07/22 06:53 PM
Redoing pond.
by Pondfun - 08/07/22 09:07 AM
Killing Brushy Plants
by RAH - 08/06/22 02:42 PM
How Do Fish Sense Their Forage Food?
by anthropic - 08/05/22 11:03 PM
Taurine: Fish protein that's good for diabetics!
by anthropic - 08/05/22 10:33 PM
Release to the Grease - calling all states!!
by Pat Williamson - 08/05/22 06:34 PM
Thoughts on a new 2.7 acre pond stocking
by Heppy - 08/05/22 03:45 PM
Removing water from pond harmful or helpful?
by Snipe - 08/05/22 03:15 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
test
test
by Dwight, July 29
My possible pond site
My possible pond site
by ArbyTX, July 27
test
test
by Dwight, July 22
Male RES