Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
4 members (Brandon Larson, Blestfarmpond, Layne, Angler8689), 634 guests, and 143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
anthropic, FishinRod, jpsdad, SherWood
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Jadog
Jadog
We just dug a 5 acre lake/pond last summer and it's about a third of the way full with the water level being about 6 feet below the rock line around the top. I am planning to begin treating with Copper Sulfate and Aquashade here soon to prevent new algea and weed growth. The water looks pretty clear as of right now. My biggest concern is the new weed growth above the current water line and the existing rock line where the future water level will be when full. I want to kill it with Roundup and herbacide but unsure what will be best for my pond. I have a friend who is a farmer and can get me a 6lb of Glysophate per gallon Roundup (PowerMax 3) that I could mix myself. I could add my own surfactant if recommended. I don't have any fish in my pond at this point and I have no intentions of using it for a fishing pond (although I will probably stock with some fish to help prevent algae, etc). The primary use will be swimming and using a jet ski. So my initial concern would be to keep people safe as I don't want my kids swimming in dangerous chemicals either.

I read through several posts on here regarding roundup usage but didn't find any clear recommendations. Just looking for some advice as to what most people use to treat the weeds around their lakes and ponds without compromising the swimming water.

Note: the farmer that I spoke to stated that Roundup without an herbicide may not be sufficient to kill the weeds which are now more and more resistant. He suggested that I add 2,4-D or similar to the mix.
Liked Replies
by FishinRod
FishinRod
Jadog,

They are giving you good advice not to worry about those plants. Those are terrestrial plants. They should all die after they are flooded as your pond fills.

If they are in the swimming area, then definitely mow them now. I would let the rest of the weeds go.

You might also consider adding Eastern Mosquitofish (Gambusia holbrooki) to your pond now. They are a minnow that is native to your area and they will keep your mosquito population down so your family will be able to enjoy the pond area without being covered in DEET!

Good luck with your big pond!
3 members like this
by FireIsHot
FireIsHot
Originally Posted by esshup
Personally? I wouldn't worry about treating them at all. They will provide some cover for the fish that you will eventually stock when the water levels rise higher.

B Lusk was at highflyer's week before last, and said he likes springtime weeds because they provide cover for fry. Treating weeds in Summer is what he recommended.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??