Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,058
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (emactxag, jpsdad, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Tinylake, catscratch), 652 guests, and 185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
anthropic, catscratch, FishinRod, RAH
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by catscratch
catscratch
I just did a Draftlogic area calculation and came up with 6.87 acres of plants in a 18.55 acre pond. This is approximately 37% weeds (if I did my math correctly).

What's healthy? Is this too much or too little, or just right? Ultimately I would like to grow some big LMB.

I'm sure someone will ask so here's what's in it; black and white crappie, bass, golden shiners, bluegill, green sunfish, channel cats, bullheads, and probably some other random stuff.
Liked Replies
by SherWood
SherWood
Originally Posted by catscratch
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
What plants make up the 37%? 37% of Potamogeton is a lot different than 37% European Milfoil.

That's a great question and one that I'm somewhat ashamed to not know the answer to. Everyone here calls it "coontail" but I have not done a complete id on it. Suppose I should do that this weekend...

I had coontail completely take over my pond, growing from depths of at least 12' and spreading on the surface. For years it kept itself at bay, although it would spread as the summer came on, we could at least use some of the pond. Each year though, it got worse and worse. It was so bad that by June each season, our pond was unusable. You couldn't cast in it, couldn't swim in it and even putting a kayak in wasn't any fun. It was so bad that I was worried if a someone fell off our dock and got panicked, they could drown should that stuff wrap them up.

I tried raking it and maybe got a 30' x 30' spot around the dock yanked out and carted away while it took me a good portion of a day. It was far too much for us to treat with pesticides and we eventually decided to drain, dredge and start our pond anew, a decision I am so happy with now. This time we'll hammer on it if and when as soon as we see any of it again.

Maybe other people haven't had the negative experiences I've had with that vegetation but for me, that stuff is evil.
1 member likes this
by RossC
RossC
Lochow Pond Management says 30%. I hate grass carp. Our lake is 70 years old. Grass carp stripped it of all native vegetation and invasive Alligator grass took over. Grass carp won't touch that stuff. I'm now trying to re-establish beneficial vegetation and even after 20 years I still have to fence everything to keep the grass carp from destroying it. Vegetation is the base of the food chain,unless you want to feed forever.
1 member likes this
by Theo Gallus
Theo Gallus
What plants make up the 37%? 37% of Potamogeton is a lot different than 37% European Milfoil.
1 member likes this
by FishinRod
FishinRod
A buddy and I used to go fishing for catfish as teens. If the catfish weren't biting, we would then make dough balls and fish for carp.

We always had more fun when the carp were biting than anytime we fished for catfish! Even small carp on your ultralight spinning tackle is highly entertaining.

Rumor has it that some guy that looked very similar to me, may have once filled the concrete pond in front of his high school with 5-6# carp.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 07:52 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails