Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
3 members (Layne, Angler8689, anthropic), 616 guests, and 135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
4CornersPuddle, CrazyCarl, FishinRod, SherWood
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#546157 04/07/2022 3:30 PM
by SherWood
SherWood
My pond is roughly 3 acres, maybe a little bit smaller but not larger. I am setting up a Hiblow 120LL with two 12in. Matala diffusers in a few days. I'd like to purchase and stock fingerlings by the end of April. I'd say my pond is mostly shallow, under 6' deep except the deepest hole near the dam that might be about 15' deep but I haven't measured it after we've drained and dug out silt/muck. I may have two to three more vertical feet to go until full pool.

I plan to stock about 6000 FHM, 900 BG between 1- 4", 200 RES 3-4", 150 LMB 2-3", 100 CC 6-8".

What I am wondering is if I plan to get the fish at least one week past the time I start aerating, are there any cautions I need to be aware of and take before putting the fish in or as I put them in? I was planning on running the aerator 24/7 right after I install it but wasn't sure if I should be doing that a different way or if the pond will be okay and safe for fish at least a week out from starting the aerator.

I am new to all of this.

Thanks!
Liked Replies
#546533 Apr 18th a 01:40 AM
by SherWood
SherWood
Alrighty, got the installation finished today and it's pumping lotsa bubbles!

I'm excited to finally get this done. I have the Hiblow 120LL, two 12" Matala diffuser disks and 120' of 1/2" hose to one diffuser in 7' of water and another 80' of hose to one in 8' of water. My pond has about two more vertical feet until it's at full pool. I tied some line to floats so I could pull the diffusers up with ease should I need to adjust things.

I made a pump housing out of lumber that's near the edge of the pond and I have it vented. I ran 100' of 16/3 chord to it from my house. I'll bury it once I settle on exactly where I want everything. As was recommended here, I split a line coming off the pump and have two valves at the beginning of each separate hose so I can adjust air flow to the diffusers. For the diffusers, I made two cylindrical cages out of wire fencing that hold the diffuser about a foot off the bottom. I weighed each down with two red bricks and I braced the hose inside in such a way that if I ever need to pull the cages in using the hose that the fitting on the diffuser doesn't take the force. They are plastic and I don't trust them to be brutalized. I should have taken pictures of the steps I took with everything but my cheap phone camera isn't working for some reason.

I spent a good half a day in constant cold rain and drizzle so I could get this done today. Dragging that weighted line off the bank into the water was a pain in the butt, two steps forward, one step back kind of thing. I was nervous that something wouldn't work right but am tickled silly that it seems to be doing great and putting out more than I expected.

Next weekend we are hoping to get the fish and then a swimming and BBQ party as soon as the weather allows for it, hopefully by the end of May. My wife and I are so happy to be getting our pond back in shape. We've come a long way over the past two years with it.
2 members like this
#546724 Apr 20th a 12:09 PM
by Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted by Quarter Acre
For what it's worth, the HiBlow manual states the following regarding extension cords...

[Linked Image]

Not being too electrically in-tune, this would lead me to believe that 16 AWG would work fine for just the pump at or under 100 feet. I am one for adding some safety factor in or room for growth, however.

Am I missing something? OR, is it just good advice to go the next gage wire above minimum?

Anyone that ever run a long extension cord for a small power tool, knows it gets real hot, real fast, and you can smell the tool, burning, unless you upsize the wire gauge.

In the world of electrical, a voltage drop, means an amperage increase, to do the same work. That's hard on the little motor, to say the least. No electrician anywhere would recommend running a permanent line in 16 gauge, unless maybe it was it was for low voltage lighting.

I'd run a 12/2 with ground minimum, 10 gauge even better, for that run. The biggest part of the job is the trench, no reason to do that twice.
2 members like this
#546191 Apr 8th a 01:57 PM
by Augie
Augie
Misery is funny. Some winters we see little to no ice. Other winters, like the one that's still trying to hang on, we will see 8-10 weeks of ice.
I was very happy to have a shallow diffuser running all winter in the cow pond this time. My fish came through winter in great shape.
1 member likes this
#546199 Apr 8th a 05:18 PM
by Journeyman
Journeyman
Congrats on taking your pond to the next level! You've gotten great advice above, and it sounds like you've done your homework too. Your thoughts on running at 8-10ft of a 15ft hole are good, there's been much discussion here on maintaining some sort of a thermocline as a refuge.
I run the same pump as you and will comment on that, it will easily perform at that depth. Since you haven't installed it yet, it's noteworthy to mention that it will easily run 3 of the Matalas also. The variables to keep in mind are, the length of your runs, and hose diameter. Bigger is better here, I recommend using 3/4" lines. Also, to have even flow at the various depths/distances, a valve station, where the lines branch somewhere near the waters edge is a good idea.
1 member likes this
#546690 Apr 19th a 08:40 PM
by Quarter Acre
Quarter Acre
For what it's worth, the HiBlow manual states the following regarding extension cords...

[Linked Image]

Not being too electrically in-tune, this would lead me to believe that 16 AWG would work fine for just the pump at or under 100 feet. I am one for adding some safety factor in or room for growth, however.

Am I missing something? OR, is it just good advice to go the next gage wire above minimum?
Attached Images
1 member likes this
#546702 Apr 19th a 11:59 PM
by Theo Gallus
Theo Gallus
A 16 Gauge extension cord will nominally handle 15 Amps; with some line loss over 100 feet this might equate to 2 hp.

I'd splurge and go 12 gauge, especially if I was going to bury it (if I read you right) so it wouldn't be easily accessible for inspection/replacement.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??