Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Cajunjarhead, WHM, Willowwood, sgtmac11b, Holodaryn
17,936 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,044
Posts545,460
Members17,936
Most Online3,583
Jan 15th, 2020
Top Posters
esshup 27,099
ewest 21,152
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 14,527
Who's Online Now
6 members (esshup, SetterGuy, FishinRod, Theo Gallus, azteca, Sunil), 239 guests, and 117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
DonoBBD, FishinRod, Hirsch56, SherWood
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by SherWood
SherWood
With the prices of diffusers, I was wanting to try to save some money by building my own.

I plan to make and use two of them to start and then maybe expand to more as needed.
My initial pump will be a Hiblow 120LL and I will be using a 1/2" hose, Tee'd off at 100' with two 50' sections going out to the two diffusers.

I was thinking I would try to make ring type diffusers using a 3/4 inch Melnor soaking hose. I will wrap them inside of an 8" tall hoop of rabbit cage wire, make them go around once or twice and then connect back to a Tee fitting. The cage will be about 12" in diameter but I can go larger or smaller if needed.

One of my main concerns is if I will get decent enough diffusion from a fine soaker hose or will the bubbling still be too large?
Liked Replies
by Bill Cody
Bill Cody
Soaker hose as black rough surface style produces small bubbles. My experience with using it and similar type diffusers is they create very small bubbles, but they clog too quickly and cleaning them is IMO difficult especially on the rough textured surface of the soaker hose.
2 members like this
by Snipe
Snipe
I have that type diffuser in my main pond and I clean it once a year before I move it back to deep water. I use 35% H2O2 mixed at 1 part 35% to 6 parts water (about 450-500ppm), drop diffuser in bucket and 20 min later there isn't a trace of any algal growth present.
1 member likes this
by Augie
Augie
I will tell you that I bought my aeration system from one of the companies that advertise on PB, and that it came with a pair of 4' ring diffusers.
I feed one diffuser set 12' down in 16' of water with a 1/4hp Thomas pump. It keeps my little .35ac puddle nicely turned.
I ran one shallow over the winter and it kept a quarter of the pond clear all winter long.
1 member likes this
by SherWood
SherWood
I think I am just going to buy a couple of 12" Matala rubber disks and go with them. It won't cost that much money, likely do a better job and be less of a headache to set up. Also, I won't have to worry about purchasing and figuring out how to employ separate check valves.
1 member likes this
by Hirsch56
Hirsch56
Originally Posted by SherWood
I think I am just going to buy a couple of 12" Matala rubber disks and go with them. It won't cost that much money, likely do a better job and be less of a headache to set up. Also, I won't have to worry about purchasing and figuring out how to employ separate check valves.
My Matala disks work great! They've been in there a year now, and there is not any increase in backpressure, so I'm thinking they don't need cleaning yet.
Beware buying Matalas from eBay. The sellers buy a Matala kit, take the disk out, and then sell the base only for the kit price (free shipping!), but disguise the fact in their slick ads that they took the disk out. They show the original box in the ad that shows it includes the disk, and show a picture with the disk, but state in the fine print it's the base only. I paid a normal price for what I thought was the whole kit, but then ended up needing to order the disk alone!! Buy from a reputable pond shop or Matala.
1 member likes this
by snrub
snrub
Originally Posted by SherWood

You just made a wise decision.

Here is an old thread on aereation that might have some useful information.

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=454091
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
Farm Pond Gal, Jeffb, liftingfaces, Tom
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 11/27/22 11:56 AM
Any new information on a ponds carry capacity?
by esshup - 11/27/22 11:55 AM
Starting with 1/2 the recommended Bluegill?
by Bill Cody - 11/27/22 10:45 AM
Bluegill fishing - favorite lures & equipment
by esshup - 11/27/22 01:09 AM
Veliger (larva) Fingernails clam.
by azteca - 11/26/22 09:24 PM
Happy Thanksgiving
by Theo Gallus - 11/26/22 05:55 PM
1/4 acre pond digging it Monday
by Dave Davidson1 - 11/25/22 08:31 PM
Chestnut other trees for wildlife
by Rangersedge - 11/25/22 06:17 PM
Converting field to food plot