Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,942
Posts557,764
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,502
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,139
Who's Online Now
6 members (Fishingadventure, Snipe, simon, Steve Clubb, Boondoggle, esshup), 756 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
SherWood, Snipe
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by SherWood
SherWood
Here's what I have and where I am at with my thinking...

I have a 42 year old 3 acre pond in my front yard. Two years ago we drained and dredged it and cut all the brush and trees away from the banks so it's nice and clear all the way around. I did put several brush piles of old cedars around at different depths, tied down to blocks while the pond was dry. I also have a very large wooden dock that I had shored up while it was out of the water so there is some wooden structure. There are a number of large rocks in the channel coming into the pond and there's a good bit of gravel all around the shallows.

I want to restock it this Spring. What I am planning on doing is putting in fathead minnows, bluegill 1-3", largemouth bass 2-3", and channel cats 6-8". I'm not exactly sure about the numbers. I also could put black crappie in at some point but that's not a priority.

The hatchery really wants me to wait until Fall to stock the bass. I don't want to wait even if that's the best approach for stocking. One big reason for this is that I fear that I may not be able to have the opportunity to get more fish after this Spring.

If I were to put all four of these types of fish in the Spring and I insist on putting bass in as well, how should I do this? Will I need to change the numbers of bass per acre? Should I go with a different ration of sizes between the fish types than what I planned above? Will I need to stock more minnows? What kind of damage or chance of absolute failure am I facing? If I were to do this yet still find the opportunity to get more fish and/or minnows in the Fall, is there a way to adjust for what I did in the Spring?

What are some thoughts on this? thanks!
Liked Replies
by esshup
esshup
SherWood, what are the numbers of the fish you are wanting to stock in the pond? You ask if the numbers should change, but don't give us a starting point.
1 member likes this
by snrub
snrub
For the FHM to do much good at all they need time to reproduce. Stock them as early as you can preferrably with little to no predator pressure.
1 member likes this
by Snipe
Snipe
If you put them all in at sizes you listed, the bass will have wiped out the FHM just in time to start on new hatch BG that manage a spawn. I know it would be a big mistake to stock crappie at all in a pond this size. They've got to be controlled by more than just angling, they can take over quick. Not saying it can't be done, but it's really hard to undo once you make that move.
If Fall doesn't work for Bass, I would recommend waiting a year to let your forage grow. If all stocked together I think they will all suffer to some extent. The forage base has got to be sufficient to support proper growth from day 1.
1 member likes this
by Sunil
Sunil
SherWood, if you are primarily designing your stocking plans against a goal of providing food for your family, I think that changes some of our conventional wisdom.

For example, over populating of fish may never be an issue for you, and perhaps the 'pressure' on the forage base may be somewhat reduced. Getting the predator fish into 'eating-size' range is now a goal, and as such, what do you think is optimal eating size for LMB and for CC?

Finally, feeding should be a part of the plan, as long as it's available in the future considering the future economic scenarios you are anticipating.
1 member likes this
by Snipe
Snipe
SherWood, there is a TEAM of folks here that can ensure you have fish available. I understand your concerns. Everyone that has posted here so far can see that you don't have to go without-if it becomes that emergent.
I can't help but think if food is your primary concern, maybe this should be a catfish production pond?
1 member likes this
by Sunil
Sunil
Originally Posted by Snipe
SherWood, there is a TEAM of folks here that can ensure you have fish available. I understand your concerns. Everyone that has posted here so far can see that you don't have to go without-if it becomes that emergent.
I can't help but think if food is your primary concern, maybe this should be a catfish production pond?

Further to Snipe's comment, if you did want to focus or 'help' the Channel Cats, you may want to create spawning structures for them which are not always present in many ponds. You need cavities or sections of piping for the CC to spawn.

ANOTHER CONSIDERATION: You may be able to set up some net pens where you could grow out certain fish before exposing them to the greater pond.
1 member likes this
by Snipe
Snipe
Originally Posted by SherWood
Originally Posted by snrub
For the FHM to do much good at all they need time to reproduce. Stock them as early as you can preferrably with little to no predator pressure.

Will the 2-3" bass immediately be a predator threat to those minnows or will it take a little more growth from the bass?

Also, what about the bluegill? If the minnows get wiped out, will the bluegill provide forage for the bass without decimating the bluegill population in the process?
This might be good to refer you to Lusk's Stocking template thread..

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=544990#Post544990
1 member likes this
by esshup
esshup
Originally Posted by SherWood
Max depth is about 15' but there's a lot of 3-8' depth in the majority of the water. We don't have aeration but I am considering getting a solar powered set up. There is no spring feeding it but we have a large watershed that keeps the pond close to full volume except for an occasional strong hot/dry period of long duration. Over the 18 years or so I've lived here, the pond may have dropped up to 2 or 3 vertical feet at most maybe three times.

Make sure you are sitting down when you look at solar aeration prices....... If at all possible I'd go with a grid based system if electricity is available.

You don't have to have electricity at the pond, you can trench 1" black poly line in and terminate at the shoreline in a valve box, then split to self-sink tubing for the pond.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
Opportunistic Munchers
by Snipe - 04/17/24 11:25 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by Steve Clubb - 04/17/24 11:18 PM
EURYHALINE POND UPDATE
by Fishingadventure - 04/17/24 10:48 PM
How many LMB to remove?
by esshup - 04/17/24 10:35 PM