Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
4 members (Shorthose, rjackson, gehajake, catscratch), 1,003 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Dave_IA, esshup, gehajake, Zep
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#544288 02/19/2022 10:19 PM
by John Fitzgerald
John Fitzgerald
Both my ponds have been stripped multiple times by river otters. Discouraging, to say the least. There is a city of Fayetteville, Arkansas, owned protected otter haven, called Lake Sequoyah, just a few miles downstream from my ponds, plus the ponds are only about 1/4 mile from the White River, which feeds that lake. Not much I can do. I cannot keep any large fish, especially CC, because of the otter problem. Other neighbors have the same problem. The otters have a huge daily range.

For the above reason, I have not been very active on the threads. To make an otter fence around the ponds would be prohibitively expensive, plus it would interfere greatly with mowing, making a lot more maintenance necessary. I have decided that what will be, will be.
Liked Replies
by RossC
RossC
A number 330 Conibear type trap is your friend. See where they are entering and leaving and set a trap at the waterline. We took out 9 last year all through the same trap and location.
2 members like this
by Sunil
Sunil
So darn cute....and deadly at the same time.
1 member likes this
by gehajake
gehajake
Friends, Otters are a huge problem to all of us, and they are only going to get much worse, there is a reason the old timers had these horrible animals nearly extinct and then our great government, with encouragement from various city dwellers that have never caught or tried to raise fish, decided it would be a great service to this country to reintroduce these vermin and let them proliferate.
We have not even seen the tip of the iceberg when it comes to these disgusting animals, they have no known predator to speak of and they multiply like rats in New York City, regardless of the warm, fuzzy story that Dick Van Schaik wrote in a past article of Pond Boss Magazine of what wonderful, harmless, playful, creatures they are that hardly reproduce enough to sustain their own population and barely kill enough fish to sustain themselves and only little ones at that, there will be ten times this many of these animals around in the near future because there is nothing to slow them down, and they hunt and kill for the shear fun of it.
Ask me how I know, we had a great fishing lake, producing some awesome fishing, reduced to a few small fish in a matter of a month, dead fish laying on the banks with a few bites out of them, just killed for the fun of it, and they start with the biggest fish in the lake. we have killed a dozen of them and they don't seem to be going anywhere, just raising more, getting pretty common to see one with 3 or 4 young ones behind her playing in the water, obviously not when one is carrying a firearm.
Unless there is a bounty put on them to slow the growth of the herd, fishing is going to be slim pickings in the very near future.
1 member likes this
by Zep
Zep
John....this makes three fish eating adult river otters trapped in last 6-8 weeks.

This morning my trapper buddy got a female at our property.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
1 member likes this
by lmoore
lmoore
If you have otter in the area consistently and leaving sign, they are not overly hard to trap. Wish I were closer, would gladly come and help!
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM