Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,098
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (H20fwler, nvcdl, esshup, Bing, Fishingadventure, Dylanfrely, Angler8689, Sunil, jpsdad, azteca, BillyE), 679 guests, and 233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
esshup, FishinRod, jpsdad, RStringer
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Mark Dyer
Mark Dyer
When performing an electroshock survey of a lake that is well balanced, what percentage of each size class would you expect or like to see for BG? For instance in the sample of the lake we have, only 2 or 3 bluegill were sampled in 0-3” size glass and none over 7.5” were sampled. I’m sure we are missing quality numbers of the smallest and largest size classes but what percentage in a good lake would you normally see represented in a survey like this? Also what percentage of bass would you like to see of the smallest size class, 0-8”? We had 0 LM in that size class.
Liked Replies
by Bob Lusk
Bob Lusk
Several variables--first, the time of year. If the survey is conducted in the fall, you'll see different size classes of fish compared to what you see in the spring.

The survey's job is to get enough fish from samples to judge the overall condition of the fishery. For example, if the majority of bass captured are in the 10-14" size class and relative weights are 80-90, and we see two size classes of bluegills such as 1-2" fish and some 5-6" fish, that tells us something. But, if we capture 5 different size classes of bluegills and five or six size classes of bass and they bass are 92-95 relative weight, that tells us something else. When I evaluate a fishery, I'm not as concerned about what we don't see as I am what we actually capture. We want to capture enough fish for statistical confidence and to judge ratios of each species and then compare all the data to draw conclusions.
2 members like this
by Snipe
Snipe
"Only once I got short with a one time customer. They'd constantly call for recommendations on what herbicide to use, how to do this or that years after the one time purchase. They called one day asking what herbicide to use on a certain plant, I told them, and said that we had it and could ship it to them. They call back a week later and ask how to use it. (I knew that they didn't buy from us, I had just looked at the store). I said one of the services that we do is help our customers find the correct product to use and help them use it if they have questions. I saw that you didn't buy it from us, did you call the place that you bought it and ask them? The phone got really, really quiet. After that the 1/2 dzn phone calls a week dropped to maybe one every few weeks."

Man you said it all there.. It's even worse if you develop a relationship and one side starts using that.. Hard to control..
I remember a guy that called me a while back about this/that and the other and he wanted some fish from me but my first years production was lower (way lower) than expected and I couldn't fill all the orders I had, I felt terrible. The one guy ran a pond management business (is listed in our (PB) guide) and had Texas Hunter products, I thought man, I really need to buy a TH feeder or 2, I wonder if this guy will even sell to me, and then I decided..oh wait??? Scott, THAT WAS YOU!!!!!!!! tired grin grin grin
Laugh Scott.. Please Laugh.. I couldn't resist.. I can assure you I will NEVER buy a feeder from anyone other than www.hoosierpondpros.com, #bigscott #greatdude #luvmybuddytjtoo
2 members like this
by esshup
esshup
jpsdad, the reason why the LMB in that lake grew slowly to 16" but grew better once having attained that size is probably gape size. Larger fish are able to eat a larger and wider variety of food.

I believe that is why HBG will grow faster than regular BG for the first few years, then regular BG seem to overtake the HBG and surpass them size wise.
1 member likes this
by esshup
esshup
FishingRod:

Here is what Bob has had in the forum guidelines for years.

"Quite often, we'll see a new member (or existing members) selling their wares or services.
We only allow that of our approved advertisers. We are careful to make sure our advertisers are quality and meet our expectations.
If you have a product or service you'd like to promote on the forum, please send an email to info@pondboss.com and get permission before you promote or add information to your signature line or add a link to your website.
We'll protect our paying advertisers and people we know.
For our approved advertisers, you guys already know how to play.

If someone breaks this rule the moderators will delete all links and references to your business.

In addition, some members solicit business via PM's (private message). These are not authorized, either. If you receive a PM from someone trying to solicit you, please do your due diligence. First, make sure they are on the Pond Boss "approved" list. That's this link, the Pond Boss resource guide. http://www.pondboss.com/resource_guide.asp
We vet all those people in the Resource Guide and have a high level of confidence of their capabilities. Also, banner ads at the top of the forum page have met with our approval.

If you are solicited by ANYONE who isn't on that list, please send us an email at info@pondboss.com and let us know. We want to police this site and make sure reputable people are soliciting."

A poster on here that says "I used this or this is available here" isn't breaking the rules, but it's a fine line - it's all in context of the post too. We moderators can look at things behind the scenes so to speak to see if the person it a spammer doing advertising or if what they posted is legit. In the case above, the poster was the company that was linked to in the post. THAT violated Bob's rules. Even though we (Hoosier Pond Pros) are a paid advertiser with Pond Boss, I think it's tacky to constantly push your business and not actually help out on the forum. While it would be perfectly "legal" for us to say "Hey, you want a Texas Hunter Feeder? Go look at us, here's a link to our on-line store" I don't do that, I just feel slimy doing that. BUT I have no problems recommending someone who I've had good business dealings with, or who have a great product AND helps pond owners, like TJ. There are a lot of places that just want to sell stuff and don't service the customers, which takes time, but OTOH, it helps them understand why certain things are recommended. For instance, why recommend fluridone to treat Eurasian Water Milfoil vs. 2,4-D.

Only once I got short with a one time customer. They'd constantly call for recommendations on what herbicide to use, how to do this or that years after the one time purchase. They called one day asking what herbicide to use on a certain plant, I told them, and said that we had it and could ship it to them. They call back a week later and ask how to use it. (I knew that they didn't buy from us, I had just looked at the store). I said one of the services that we do is help our customers find the correct product to use and help them use it if they have questions. I saw that you didn't buy it from us, did you call the place that you bought it and ask them? The phone got really, really quiet. After that the 1/2 dzn phone calls a week dropped to maybe one every few weeks.
1 member likes this
by esshup
esshup
[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 05:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images