Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
6 members (catscratch, Brandon Larson, Layne, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond, Angler8689), 638 guests, and 166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
FishinRod, RStringer, Zep
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Zep
Zep
This trespasser was seen our our property this week, but we were hesitant to approach him.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Liked Replies
by Sunil
Sunil
Apparently a poacher too....
1 member likes this
by RAH
RAH
You caught me:(
1 member likes this
by azteca
azteca
Hello.

All the nice place like that, attracts the trespassers.

A+
1 member likes this
by Hirsch56
Hirsch56
Too tall for a Yeti. I know because I saw one last week in a Bayou Segnette State Park.

From a security standpoint, such a figure is good Feng Shui practice because it gives the visitor a sense of being watched. It's the same principle behind Fu Dog statues or concrete lions at a front entrance. When entering a yard or house, the entry should always be guarded by a portrait or statue of a person or animal watching. Such practice reminds the visitor that he is indeed only a visitor. In my home, a front door visitor is confronted by a portrait of Chief Tecumseh watching the door. Arrivals at the front walk are greeted by a pair of concrete lions. The pond is watched by plastic swans.

The practice of Feng Shui serves me as an art of decoration and arrangement in order to serve purpose and maintain organisation by controlling the flow of energy and attention. Due to its 'mystical' Chinese origin, it seems foreign to us, but it is a VERY practical method to guide the placement of things, the design of a home, and choice of property.
Cheers, -Hirsch
1 member likes this
by esshup
esshup
Originally Posted by FireIsHot
Originally Posted by esshup
Originally Posted by Zep
Originally Posted by FishinRod
Is that trespasser the appropriate gauge of steel to use for target practice?

Big Foot wears body armor!

LOL. Bob Lusk's neighbor said that his steel target was guaranteed not to get "drilled" by a bullet by the maker (5/16" or 3/8" AR 400 I think). Dave Davidson shot my long range rifle at it and the target barely swung. It was set at less than 200 yds. He thought he missed. Nope, A 7mm 175g Sierra Matchking @ a muzzle velocity of 3475 fps went right through it like it was butter.

I'm sure esshup replaced the plate. I mean knowing the Match King was gonna go right through it and all. Poor guy is living on a fixed income, driving a 76 Ford Pinto, and picking up soda cans on the side of the road.

I've got 400 of the Match Kings waiting to be loaded for my coyote rifle. I'm gonna try to get my .223 to reach out a smidge.

It's really hard to find any distance to shoot at in our area, but my neighbor has a 800 yard shooting ranch next door, so I may go ahead and put some plates up for him. AR500 plates can be bought locally, and all I'd have to build is the hangers.

FishinRod, go ahead and start a thread.

I offered, he said no, he was going to take it back to the guy that built it and who said "nothing can go through it besides AP rounds" and he was laughing when he saw the hole. I gave him a loaded round to take with him when he went to the guy that built the target.

MatchKings will work fine on game, but you have to be VERY PICKY at what the impact velocity is. Too fast and they will explode like a varmint bullet. With that being said, I never used a MatchKing on game, just on paper/steel. After a couple hundred rounds down the tube I was missing the paper. Couldn't figure out why but when I looked up over the rifle (it was in a rest like a Lead Sled) I saw a grey cloud at about 50 yds. The reason why I was missing the target (I "think" this is the reason) was that they were exploding in mid air. I think the throat got a bit rougher and the RPM's of the bullet was causing it to go "poof" because the rougher throat scraped a wee bit more copper off of the jacket.

I switched to 180g Berger VLD Hunting bullets and the sweet spot accuracy wise for them was 100 fps slower. They didn't go "poof". Now I'm shooting the Berger 195g Elite Hunter bullets right around 3300 fps. Google "7mm Allen Magnum" for the info on the round. If you pull up asprifles.com, the rifle is the 6th rifle down on the right hand side of the "custom rifle" picture page.

When I was having the MatchKings go "poof" I called Sierra and talked to their tech guy. It was the 3rd phone call talking to the same guy when he said "Wait a minute, you are shooting them at 3475 fps? What the he.. are you pushing them that fast in?? We've never tested them over 2700 fps. You are on your own." I explained that I was pushing them with 110 grains of WC-872 powder in a modified .338 Lapua case. FWIW, the RPM of the bullet calculates out to be 278,000 rpm. Bullet RPM = MV fps x 720/twist rate (in inches) Barrel is a 1:9 twist

As for the polymer tipped bullets, Hornady says that some start to melt at higher velocities, I haven't seen a picture of a melted tip though. I would think that they could put a ballistics gel block way out there and shoot it to get a picture of one, having calculated the fps needed to impact the block and not damage the tip. I've shot deer with an SST and recovered an undamaged tip in the deer, and shot a deer with a aluminum tipped bullet and the processor found the undamaged tip.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??