Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Grit160, Falcons_King, Aakash, REDRIDER07, Sparkyyc
18,441 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,872
Posts556,784
Members18,441
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,365
ewest 21,463
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,097
Who's Online Now
3 members (Boondoggle, MnAngler, 4CornersPuddle), 625 guests, and 203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
esshup, KristofMI, Quixotic
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by KristofMI
KristofMI
Hi Guys
New member and this is my first post. Anyway I did some search on google and this forum always shows up so I decided to join and ask here. Just recently we purchased a abandoned farm. It has a small pond on it about 50ft wide x 120 ft long. Right now it's solid frozen so I think it will be a good time to drill some holes in it and install the bridge and not get wet. So my question is how far can I span a 2x6 or 2x8 ? Bridge will be 4ft wide and we will only walk on it. Of course it will be installed on the 50ft wide side
I would appreciate any help.
Liked Replies
by esshup
esshup
Welcome to the forum!

While this isn't for bridges, this might give you a starting point.

https://www.awc.org/codes-standards/spantables/tutorial

What will you be using for columns and how will you be installing them in the pond?
1 member likes this
by FishinRod
FishinRod
Your question is more complicated than most people realize, but esshup has posted an excellent resource.

Further, those codes are for wood that is utilized in protected spaces. The strength of your crossbeams will always be subject to continual reduction due to weathering, insect damage, rot, etc.

It would probably be better to build a little above code and use pressure treated wood.

I also agree with esshup that you need a good plan for your support posts.
1 member likes this
by DreamcatcherDB
DreamcatcherDB
You have proposed an interesting project. Though you'll need to figure out the specific complexities on your own, I think I may be able to help point you in the right direction..well, at least A direction. There are many ways to achieve what you are asking.

The first thing I would consider is the abutments at each end. Typically, this would mean building a retaining wall to stabilize the banks. To do this you would need to drive posts in at the bank then plank the soil side of the posts. Next fill in the area nice and level using good soil then compact thoroughly. Excavate an are about 4'x4'x1' behind the retaining wall and frame a square box using 2x12's then fill the box using 21AA crushed limestone or similar, compacted every 4".

At this point, I would determine my fully required distance at the far ends of the new abutments; If it was originally a 50'-0" span it would now be 58'-0" distance.

As suggested above, I would consult a span table keeping in mind that you will want to use 0.60 pressure treated southern yellow pine lumber throughout. Given that, I would consider using 2x10 joists @16" on center. I would shoot for a relatively low modulus of elasticity so the bridge doesn't bounce nor sag over time. I would break up the spans to make optimal use of 16ft and 14ft lumber, which would give me spans of approximately 11ft and 12ft plus a short central span of about 4ft.

The depth of your pond will ultimately determine your post dimensions and material. I figure for a typical 6ft deep pond, 4x4 posts will do but you may also consider using steel beam or pipe. I would figure on no less than four pairs of posts with headers on both sides and cross bracing.

Going well above and beyond code, I would double the outer joists and stagger them to overlap by half to create straight, solid 3" wide beams. I would also add 3' block cleats to solidly join each inner joist. Last, I would block in between the joists every 8' before attaching deck planks.

I think it should be clearly stated that there will undoubtedly be specific site circumstances that must be considered; depth of water, density of soil below water, stability of soil at banks, actual vs. approximate distance between banks, local codes, insurance liability, quality of materials available, added mechanical connections required, etc,etc. This is not something you can just do on a whim and complete in a weekend but at least you have a starting point for when you consult your local engineer, builder and county officials.

I am including a sketch of what I mentioned above. Please do not consider it a plan to build from. Take my advice at your own risk.[Linked Image]
Attached Images
1 member likes this
by Pat Williamson
Pat Williamson
Originally Posted by KristofMI
Hi Guys
New member and this is my first post. Anyway I did some search on google and this forum always shows up so I decided to join and ask here. Just recently we purchased a abandoned farm. It has a small pond on it about 50ft wide x 120 ft long. Right now it's solid frozen so I think it will be a good time to drill some holes in it and install the bridge and not get wet. So my question is how far can I span a 2x6 or 2x8 ? Bridge will be 4ft wide and we will only walk on it. Of course it will be installed on the 50ft wide side
I would appreciate any help.
How bout a floating bridge? Wouldn’t have to sink posts except at landfalls
1 member likes this
by FireIsHot
FireIsHot
It seems to be. Best I can tell, all's well.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
PasquotankPond
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 03/19/24 12:13 AM
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:41 PM
Watershed or Groundwater Pond?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:30 PM
Pond needs help!
by Falcons_King - 03/18/24 06:31 PM