Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,790
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,509
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
10 members (Boondoggle, ArkieJig, esshup, canyoncreek, Augie, catscratch, FishinRod, FireIsHot, Theeck, Rick O), 967 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
azteca, esshup, FishinRod, gehajake
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by STP
STP
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone else has experience collecting sap from Maple and Walnut trees during sugar season? I have a dozen or so trees on the property and have all my Dad's old taps plus some new buckets and figured I'd give it a shot. Might as well make use of them since I have to deal with their leaves they can give a little back.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Liked Replies
by sprkplug
sprkplug
Weird. My wife and I just returned from the sugarbush about an hour ago, been tapping trees most of the day. Then I hear someone on Pondboss is asking about the process.
Yes, we've tapped black walnuts. Syrup is incredible, process is much the same with a couple of notable differences. Our first year I boiled 10 gallons of sap, now we produce 6 types of maple syrup. I'll help in any way I can, but a few years ago I agreed to stop posting on the forum. If you're on Facebook, look us up at B&B Farms Maple Syrup. If not send me a pm and we'll work it out. I'll keep an eye on this site for a couple days. Good luck with your sugaring, it's VERY addictive!
1 member likes this
by sprkplug
sprkplug
We ran almost 90:1 ratio sap/syrup for black walnut.
1 member likes this
by FishinRod
FishinRod
Off topic reply - but I am enjoying this discussion (and others) about people rekindling "old-time" pursuits.

My grandmother used to make delicious sand plum jelly. My brother collected 5-6# of sand plums at our property this year. His jelly was excellent. (But still not as good as Grandma's!)

P.S. Thanks to everyone that posts these types of projects on Pond Boss. I always learn something new, and if it is too far "off topic" for those who only come here for the ponds, then it is easy to skip these posts.
1 member likes this
by STP
STP
I hoped not to offend with "off topic" FishinRod but have learned so much here you don't find in a book from people who have actually done things it was worth a shot.

Seems a waste not to check in for real world experience from such a vast group of folks with know how.
1 member likes this
by STP
STP
Update, the Black Walnuts are running like crazy. We are going to boil off 8-10 gallons over the weekend - should be fun while we wait through the endless Super Bowl coverage before the game.

Be well!
1 member likes this
by STP
STP
I'm hoping so, we had 3 great days with the right weather but now a couple cold days then right back to perfect weather. It's all about learning and being outside some.
1 member likes this
by STP
STP
Hey esshup, we boiled down 8g of black walnut sap to syrup. keeping to the math that turned out to be 5 8oz bottles of syrup finishing at 218F, filtered twice (once off the outdoor stove and the second into the bottle indoors using doubled over cheesecloth both times).

One could boil farther, more water than what I thought but I stayed to the temps and holy cow get out the vanilla ice cream, it's butterscotch. Maybe a hint of walnut but, it's butterscotch.

Enjoy the rest of the season.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 09:26 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump