Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59
18,484 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,807
Members18,484
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
9 members (shores41, Donatello, Justin W, teehjaeh57, Theo Gallus, Sunil, FishinRod, New Guy, jludwig), 1,061 guests, and 231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
lmoore, RAH
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by FishinRod
FishinRod
I have learned a lot from the Pond Boss people this year about deer hunting and have started applying this new knowledge at our farm.

Most deer hunters I know eventually move on to bow hunting, once it becomes "easy" to harvest freezer venison with a rifle. The bonus is that you might be able to bag a big buck during the early bow season.

I think I am an average to below average shot with a rifle. (So I don't attempt any difficult shots.)

Question for the expert and new bowhunters:

What is the maximum range (that you are comfortable) taking a shot with a clean view?

Also, if you are a good shot, how much would you reduce that range for an average shooter?

I am not quite ready to move to bowhunting. However, I want to start evaluating how many good "bowhunting" opportunities I observe in the next few years based on blind observations and camera pics.

P.S. Any bow recommendations for an average shooter that will only shoot 1-2 arrows per year hunting, plus training shots?

Thanks,
FishinRod
Liked Replies
by lmoore
lmoore
The biggest problem with deer hunting is I've never found a target that got me shaking like a big buck does walking by, so it's hard to practice a real kill shot. I can comfortably shoot out to 50-60 yards without too much practice at home, but I limit myself to about half that in the woods. I'm glad I still get that excited when I see a nice deer, but I'm also envious of the guys whos bodies don't betray them. lol
1 member likes this
by esshup
esshup
Originally Posted by Dan Freda
I practice a lot… and I still won’t shoot beyond 40 yards with the compound. Crossbow I’m confident to 75, but I don’t think that’s what you’re asking about.

I have friends who routinely try to shoot deer farther than 40 yards… and honestly, they wound a lot of deer that we don’t recover. Being able to hit a target is one thing, having enough retained energy to humanly kill a deer is another thing. You have to be willing to pass shots beyond the range you can cleanly harvest.

Plus targets don't move at the slightest sound, deer will.
1 member likes this
by FishinRod
FishinRod
Originally Posted by lmoore
The biggest problem with deer hunting is I've never found a target that got me shaking like a big buck does walking by, so it's hard to practice a real kill shot. I can comfortably shoot out to 50-60 yards without too much practice at home, but I limit myself to about half that in the woods. I'm glad I still get that excited when I see a nice deer, but I'm also envious of the guys whos bodies don't betray them. lol

I used to fish and hunt in high school with a buddy that became a professional tennis player. He was the best eye/hand coordination athlete I have ever met.

He had buck fever so bad on his first bow shot that he said he could not even draw his bow!
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM