Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
MartyC
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by MartyC
MartyC
I’m finally getting back into my pond project after spending the last 3 weeks getting it drained with a 2” semi trash pump. I could have waited a few weeks and it would have leaked out by itself but I’m anxious to get it sealed before the spring rains. I’ve heard from different neighbors the pond used to hold water with 5+ lb bass some years ago. I’m not sure why it started leaking but after using a 4 ft probe all around in 4-6 inches of muck I found a 5ft diameter muck hole where the probe will sink almost to the handle before hitting solid ground. I suppose I will rent a backhoe to get all the muck out and fill with a clay mix ,and compact . Could it be the top of a water table or something? When the pond is full from the rains it will lose 4 to 6 inches a week it seems ,and my neighbors yard down the hill and across the road is a swamp until my pond leaks down a few feet. I have 2000 lbs of bentonite on hand and plan on putting about 5 pounds per square foot in the area around this hole . Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I plan on mixing or blanketing bentonite on the entire pond bottom eventually but hoping this is the only spot it’s leaking and solves the problem.

Thanks,
Marty
Liked Replies
by esshup
esshup
I'd put the dirt that you CAN pack in the hole about 8" deep, then pack the snot out of it with the bucket on the excavator, keep repeating the process. If you really wanted to compact it good, I believe there are sheepsfoot rollers that you can get to go on the excavator in place of the bucket. Roll it back and forth with down pressure.

You can't put a thicker layer down THEN try to compact it because you won't transfer the PSI of the compacter to the bottom of thicker dirt.
1 member likes this
by teehjaeh57
teehjaeh57
This sounds like a situation that would benefit from polymer application. Feel free to reach out anytime Marty - I'm a volunteer here and help guys seal ponds nationwide - my time is free to my Pond Boss forum family. Happy to help however I can.

tj@hudlandmgmt.com
1 member likes this
by esshup
esshup
Marty, I would concentrate your work in those soft areas first, then move out to the rest of the pond. I agree about getting an excavator and digging out those areas to work on.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??