Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TriadDawg, space30cowboys, Mark from VA, GeoKuntz, fethiye
18,406 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,824
Posts556,082
Members18,407
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,273
ewest 21,448
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,064
Who's Online Now
8 members (WiYeti, Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, Groundhog7, Bill Lomax, Culnby8, gehajake, FishinRod), 514 guests, and 209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
anthropic, azteca, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, FishinRod, gehajake, Hirsch56, RAH
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#541497 11/19/2021 8:59 PM
by azteca
azteca
Hello.

Have you ever found Deer antlers.

I found these Deer antlers this spring in a vernal pool in the wood.

https://ibb.co/C5vg7fB

https://ibb.co/sK5ybRV

Around what date do Deer lose their antlers.
A+
Liked Replies
#545741 Mar 28th a 01:36 AM
by catscratch
catscratch
I throw them on the piles at the bases of my antler trees. No particular good use, just something I like to play with once in a while.
Attached Images
3 members like this
#553265 Nov 4th a 10:26 AM
by RAH
RAH
Found these still attached yesterday evening (crossbow at 25 yards). Hanging in the barn. Was hoping he stuck around. Nice spread and tine length, but without the velvet, the mass was a little light. Still a nice deer. Passed on an old one with good mass, but not so big, on Oct 8 because I took similar deer the last 3 years as culls, and decided I take a nicer one this year even though he was young.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
3 members like this
#553327 Nov 6th a 12:53 AM
by canyoncreek
canyoncreek
My 14 year old son is just getting into deer hunting. We have a lot to learn. Built a raised blind with help from his Gpa. Probably way more deluxe than it needs to be with flip up windows and a tin roof. He learned to paint it and I had fun guessing on what kind of camo pattern one might use for a winter scene while mixing together all kinds of old house paint I had left. I found out you can only store cans of paint so long and the lids rust on. Glad I found out before the room was ready to repaint inside. I mixed and matched and went for a more gray background with brown trees since the backdrop of the blind now shows trees, sky and no leaves. If the deer hunting isn't his thing the kids can surely use it as a very nice playhouse the other 3 seasons!

He has a crossbow but isn't keen on using it. He wants to sit in the blind and watch and wait for now, use trail cam to see what might be out there and actually shoot come gun season. That means hunter safety course, picking out his first gun, learning how to use it safely, how to clean it, how to store it. Then pick a scope, sight in the scope. All new to me but I ask for help from nephews who know the ropes. We are getting ready!

In August he created two food plots with rototiller, rake and hand seeder. Apparently they are working since we are seeing does and a few bucks on trail cam. We are in a wooded area with houses on roughly 1 acre lots and some protected land due to power lines and swamps/ravines that make houses not possible to build.

The groups of does and young ones are almost like domestic pets as they watch cars go by in the neighborhood and seem unfazed. We see a smaller buck out in the open but the trail cam caught a much nicer buck. I'm going to try to see if I can get the video to upload here. His body seems lean but rack looks nice.

Last night another group of hunters came near by his blind after dark and said they shot a large buck with cross bow but lost the blood trail. Hopefully it wasn't this guy.

[video:youtube]
[/video]

Another look, I believe same deer:

[/video]
3 members like this
#545577 Mar 24th a 02:35 AM
by FishinRod
FishinRod
Nice set!

How did you train your deer to drop them on the dock? Must make the sheds a lot easier to find. grin
2 members like this
#545704 Mar 26th a 10:50 PM
by catscratch
catscratch
What we've found so far and the pup.
Attached Images
2 members like this
#553271 Nov 4th a 01:17 PM
by SetterGuy
SetterGuy
I took a doe with my crossbow last week. First deer with a bow of any kind. At 68 I wanted to get it done before I turned 70. Ha! I just am not comfortable standing up in a ladder stand and longer.
That’s a nice buck Rah. We have a lot of smaller bucks running around here. I did see a big 8 pt late yesterday. We’ve decided to pass on him this year. Very big bodied deer.
2 members like this
#553312 Nov 5th a 06:06 PM
by RAH
RAH
If folks were hunting to feed their families, I would have no qualms, but that is not what is going on.
2 members like this
#541515 Nov 21st a 10:49 AM
by RAH
RAH
I once shot what I thought was a large doe during muzzleloader. It turned out to be a shed buck in December. It was in very good body condition and fairly young so I am not sure what caused the early shed. Dog found this shed with over a 6" circumference base a few years ago. I never saw it while hunting or on the trail cam, and have never taken one with this kind of mass. Note the pen in the pic for scale. G2 is over 9", and G3 over 8".

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
1 member likes this
#541521 Nov 21st a 06:32 PM
by FishinRod
FishinRod
"My friend took a dog and trained it to hunt sheds, He took him out to Co and went shed hunting for a week, nearly filled the back of a little pickup bed with whitetail, muley and elk sheds."

RAH's dog found a shed (based on interesting smell?) and you know of a dog trained to find sheds!

Dogs truly are man's best friend!

P.S. Please let me know when you have a buddy whose dog points the LMB and BG in a pond. I could definitely use a puppy from that dog's litter!
1 member likes this
#545575 Mar 24th a 02:28 AM
by azteca
azteca
I found this this morning.

https://ibb.co/JmQSpj4
A+
1 member likes this
#545596 Mar 24th a 02:19 PM
by catscratch
catscratch
Originally Posted by FishinRod
Originally Posted by catscratch
Wow, had no idea PB had a shed thread. I love looking for them. Trying to train my dog to find them (with some limited success).

I had a buddy with a pitbull that was an inveterate chewer. He always wanted my sheds because it took the dog much longer to work them down to nubs.

If you gave your dog sheds as "chew toys", do you think that would help the dog search for them?

No clue the right way to train a dog. Mine was a pup last summer and I kept antlers around as toys, but never as a chew toy. When I take him shed hunting now if I see one I'll stop and just wait until he finds it, then he brings it to me. So far he hasn't found one that I hadn't seen first but every one he's found he's brought to me. Lots of praise for him when he does that.
1 member likes this
#545708 Mar 27th a 01:40 AM
by FishinRod
FishinRod
That's a good doggie!
1 member likes this
#541533 Nov 22nd a 05:53 AM
by RAH
RAH
Squirrels eat our sheds up as well here in Indiana. Found several chewed up. They last longer when they are dropped away from trees.
1 member likes this
#547271 May 2nd a 02:04 AM
by Tbar
Tbar
Some we have picked up.

https://ibb.co/X5zWv86

https://i.ibb.co/LzKMqL7/003-DE88-E-2911-424-F-A7-C9-4-AB6-CEEAB1-F2.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/HdFbRD1/4-D19-A5-F2-0-D9-A-46-DA-A74-E-99-ED31-CAF903.jpg
1 member likes this
#553299 Nov 5th a 02:53 PM
by FishinRod
FishinRod
Originally Posted by RAH
Hearing single gunshots hours after dark during bow season does not leave me hopeful.

I hate poachers!

At least you were safe since they were shooting after dark.

One of my buddies had a bullet go past him in his blind during bow season, when guys stopped on the road and shot rifles into the woods to push the deer out into the meadows.

He was pissed!
1 member likes this
#553602 Nov 20th a 04:07 AM
by canyoncreek
canyoncreek
GRRRR... The photo manager upload tool still isn't fixed? It has been more than a month??

Well, I think I can make 3 still pictures into a video and then add the video to youtube and then embed the youtube video here...

[/video]
1 member likes this
#553986 Dec 5th a 03:21 AM
by FishinRod
FishinRod
Originally Posted by RAH
Life is tough:) I have 2 weeks of vacation coming with no hunting left...

Man, are your ponds going to be in great shape before spring rolls around next year!
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
barny, davidlarson, jcummings122
Recent Posts
Winter die off
by WiYeti - 02/24/24 05:16 PM
Congratulations Bob Lusk!!
by Groundhog7 - 02/24/24 04:47 PM
Best Way to Keep Your Pond Full (humorous)
by gehajake - 02/24/24 04:18 PM
6 acre, LMB, Rainbow, specks, sunfish
by gehajake - 02/24/24 02:26 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by BJ Nick - 02/24/24 01:33 PM
Caloric Densities for bass forage
by jpsdad - 02/24/24 10:13 AM
Dissolved Oxygen under ice, longer days
by Tinylake - 02/24/24 07:13 AM
Fish delivery SE Michigan
by Dergib - 02/23/24 09:43 PM
HB George
by Dave Davidson1 - 02/23/24 09:36 PM
Sludge floating in pond
by Mark from VA - 02/23/24 08:54 PM
Pond liner for Redneck Pool