Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,956
Posts557,913
Members18,494
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
9 members (Boondoggle, 4CornersPuddle, Shorthose, esshup, Joeydickens93, rjackson, Theo Gallus, catscratch, Dave Davidson1), 716 guests, and 178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
curtm, wbuffetjr
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#539778 09/13/2021 9:41 PM
by curtm
curtm
Check out my duckweed removal video.

With the $200 2" trash pump I have about $80 in to it.

Works like a charm!!!!
Liked Replies
#539831 Sep 15th a 05:48 PM
by Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted by wbuffetjr
Any calculations on how long it would take a 2" trash pump to circulate one acre foot of water?.

32.6 hours to move 1 acre of water, 1 foot deep. 326,000 gallons and 2 inch trash pump pumps 10,000 gallons per hour.
But realistically it would be much less, because you’re only skimming the surface of the acre.
2 members like this
#539817 Sep 15th a 11:52 AM
by Journeyman
Journeyman
Replace the barrel with this - Dewaterer
1 member likes this
#539833 Sep 15th a 05:58 PM
by esshup
esshup
They make bigger dewatering bags, that is what is used when demucking a pond. I have no idea how to clean them out, I've seen them left in place for 6 months to a year, then cut apart and heavy equipment used to move the dried muck.

https://spillcontainment.com/products/ultra-dewatering-bags-oil-sediment-model/

Just do a google search for dewatering bags. That was the first place that popped up that wasn't an ad.

That was a good thought to use one to remove the algae in the pond. You might have to up the water flow to a 4" pump. You will have a LOT of water to move and circulate. I've dewatered ponds to lower the water volume when killing a pond, or getting it ready to renovate. I think for removing algae, it might be more beneficial to have the pump as far away from the dewatering bag as possible, so you aren't sucking up the cleaned water.
1 member likes this
#539914 Sep 20th a 02:52 PM
by FireIsHot
FireIsHot
Just a cheap and easy option, but I've used construction site erosion fencing several times, and it's worked extremely well. I just run the pump outlet hose 20-30' from the bank on a gentle slope, and I've had nothing but clean water re-enter the pond. The algae and chopped up coontail never made it past the fencing. Portable and cheap.

Something like this
1 member likes this
#539925 Sep 20th a 06:36 PM
by esshup
esshup
Originally Posted by wbuffetjr
Scott do you have any pics of how you did the remote tank?

No but I can describe it easily. I took an older outboard motor gas tank that was metal. Flushed it out really well to get any traces of gasoline out of it and then let it sit for a week open inside a building so it would dry and any gas residue would be gone. Drilled a small hole near the bottom on the one vertical side, soldered a 1/4" pipe fitting to the tank, then a shutoff valve, then a barbed fitting that was the same size as the fuel line. Drained the fuel from the onboard pump tank. Disconnected the fuel line from the onboard tank at the carb, set the outboard motor tank on an upside down bucket so the tank bottom was the same height as the bottom of the "on board" tank. Ran new fuel line from the aux tank to the carb and everything worked fine.

I tried using a new plastic outboard tank that has the pickup from the top of the tank but there must have been a teeny, tiny air leak somewhere because it would run fine for an hour or two, but it wouldn't run all night, so I surmised that the pump motor sipped gas so slowly that it couldn't overcome the air leak and it built up enough to break the siphon.

I used a tank like this:
Outboard motor tank
1 member likes this
#539955 Sep 21st a 08:48 PM
by curtm
curtm
Here are some more pics of my setup.

A 5 gallon bucket with a 2" bulkhead on the bottom of the bucket. this is connected to 2" PVC ending in a CamLock, which connects to the input hose going to the 2" trash pump.

On the output size of the trash pump, another CamLock (for easy connect/disconnect) going to 2" PVC in an upside down U, discharging into a 55 gallon drum.

I now have a cloth sack cylinder (home made with flour sack scraps sewn together) lining the 55 gallon drum to filter the duckweed and watermeal from the water. Several holes go around the sides of the barrel at the bottom to allow the water to filter/drain out. Chicken wire around the barrel keeps the filter cloth cylinder from pushing out of the barrel.
Attached Images
1 member likes this
#539956 Sep 21st a 08:56 PM
by curtm
curtm
Oh sorry, forgot to add that the actual floating skimmer piece is an Admiral B38 floating weir skimmer, and the black piece on top of the bucket (that holds the skimmer in the center) is a 6" Hydroponics mesh bucket lid with the mesh cut off. You might be able to ust a regular bucket lid but i wanted something more firm.

I hope this helps someone.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by esshup - 04/23/24 07:31 AM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by esshup - 04/23/24 07:29 AM
1 year after stocking question
by Joeydickens93 - 04/23/24 07:21 AM
Happy Birthday Theo!