Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
ThePondDoctors, Hirsch56, KristofMI, DreamcatcherDB, PLF Ranch
17,565 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics39,384
Posts535,083
Members17,566
Most Online3,583
Jan 15th, 2020
Top Posters
esshup 26,115
ewest 20,828
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 13,991
Who's Online Now
5 members (Beardy, Heppy, Dylanfrely, Snipe, highflyer), 58 guests, and 112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
anthropic, Augie, DrLuke, esshup, FishinRod, gehajake, Incept, jpsdad, RAH, RStringer, SetterGuy, wbuffetjr, Zep
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#538496 08/06/2021 9:56 PM
by Zep
Zep
Starting to see a few nice bucks on game-cam

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Cute Fawns too...

Liked Replies
#541229 Nov 8th a 05:12 AM
by airborne3118
airborne3118
I got him tonight at 4:30. I couldn't believe it.
Attached Images
4 members like this
#538665 Aug 11th a 06:43 PM
by wbuffetjr
wbuffetjr
Nice bucks, Zep!!

You could just install some of these for the hogs. They do a fantastic job of eliminating our deer population. I'd imagine they'd clean up hogs too!!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
3 members like this
#541240 Nov 8th a 06:59 PM
by gehajake
gehajake
here are a couple pics of a pretty decent buck that has shown up on the cameras pretty regular the last coupla weeks.
Attached Images
3 members like this
#541346 Nov 14th a 02:27 AM
by SetterGuy
SetterGuy
My son in law got the one pictured above. My neighbor across the gravel road got this monster. I elected not to shoot. Haha! [Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
3 members like this
#541505 Nov 20th a 01:46 PM
by SetterGuy
SetterGuy
Finally got my deer. Not a wall hanger, but ok for our little farm. Pic makes his antlers look bigger. Ha! [Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

It was a great morning.

3 members like this
#541511 Nov 21st a 12:09 AM
by Incept
Incept
Do Moose count? I've yet to get out for deer this season and might not the way things are going whoever I did tip over a Moose with the archery gear in September. 15 year draw. Solo hunt with Iphone picture so it is not the best however... If this doesn't qualify I'll pull it down....
Attached Images
3 members like this
#541548 Nov 23rd a 12:15 AM
by Tbar
Tbar
A friend of mine took this one on my west Texas place in October.

[Linked Image from ]

A few hanging.

[Linked Image from ]
3 members like this
#538542 Aug 8th a 05:18 PM
by Zep
Zep
Originally Posted by FishinRod
The "red" deer are so bright now when you see them in the summer sun!
Have you started your feeders yet, or are those pics over a food plot?

Thats pretty cool about the colors. At this cam we just threw out some corn. We don't hunt, but like to see the deer and others attracted to the corn. We tell the big bucks to stay on our land and they wont get killed....but they don't listen...lol

2 members like this
#538821 Aug 15th a 07:13 PM
by Tbar
Tbar
[Linked Image from ]
2 members like this
#539999 Sep 24th a 02:36 AM
by airborne3118
airborne3118
Not the biggest guy but pretty good for my little farm. He appears to be still fairly young.
Attached Images
2 members like this
#542461 Dec 28th a 11:49 PM
by Chris Steelman
Chris Steelman
Originally Posted by SetterGuy
Chris,
Those are some really nice deer. That last one is amazing. Would love to see one like that some day.
Nice!

There are even bigger ones shot on neighboring properties every year. We never seem to hold the biggest deer for some reason. Got a biologist coming out in March to make a plan for us

Big deer from several years ago.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Big deer shot this year.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
2 members like this
#538499 Aug 6th a 10:23 PM
by FishinRod
FishinRod
Looks good, Zep!

I have kicked up lots of does and fawns working at the farm the last few weeks. I am amazed at the binary color patterns of our deer.

We have a lot of ground that is in native tall-grass prairie. It has a red hue when it goes dormant in the fall. Our deciduous tree areas mostly turn gray in the winter since that is the color of the trunks and bare branches.

I have deer that are brown-red in color and others that are brown-gray in color. I see both colors in the same group when they are moving together in bunches during the winter.

The "red" deer are so bright now when you see them in the summer sun!

Have you started your feeders yet, or are those pics over a food plot?
1 member likes this
#538500 Aug 6th a 11:14 PM
by jim100
jim100
White tail deer? Good looking.
1 member likes this
#538786 Aug 13th a 10:45 PM
by FishinRod
FishinRod
Originally Posted by wbuffetjr
You could just install some of these for the hogs. They do a fantastic job of eliminating our deer population. I'd imagine they'd clean up hogs too!!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

wb,

Do you know a good supplier for those? laugh

I need the ones that are "feed trained" to clear out coyotes - but leave the deer. Will I need to pay extra for those?
1 member likes this
#538661 Aug 11th a 05:19 PM
by Pat Williamson
Pat Williamson
Yes they can do a lot of damage to crops. We are covered up with mostly sows and young.... we work on the boars to the point where the boars are getting smaller and smaller
1 member likes this
#538780 Aug 13th a 10:14 PM
by FireIsHot
FireIsHot
Mark, I keep forgetting to tell you how nice those bucks are. We had a buck roaming around here last year that was near the size of the big one on the second pic. Once the acorns fell, we never saw him again. I was at one of my neighbor's house right before Christmas, and there was 4 of us who had recorded the same buck. Miles of roaming, and he's still around here somewhere.
1 member likes this
#538797 Aug 14th a 12:01 PM
by TGW1
TGW1
There are some good-looking bucks but that one is really nice looking. I will see two or three of those nicer bucks each year but I only got one opportunity at those better bucks a few yrs ago but he busted me while trying to take aim with my bow.
1 member likes this
#541331 Nov 12th a 06:52 PM
by RAH
RAH
Another way to perhaps keep the hounds out is to allow a trapper access to your place and let the neighbor know it.
1 member likes this
#541339 Nov 13th a 03:52 PM
by FishinRod
FishinRod
Nice deer, RAH!

And also a good cull.
1 member likes this
#541348 Nov 14th a 05:09 AM
by anthropic
anthropic
Originally Posted by FishinRod
Originally Posted by RAH
Another way to perhaps keep the hounds out is to allow a trapper access to your place and let the neighbor know it.

That is a good idea!

I was going to have a trapper out 2 years ago to get a family of beavers that were cutting all of my trees along the creek. We then had two massive floods and I have not had any beavers since then.

I also have bobcats on my farm, but I think they may actually be improving my upland bird populations. My neighbor used to have at least 20 barn cats, which I would sometimes see on my farm. After the bobcats moved in, I no longer see the barn cats on my land, or even around my neighbor's buildings.

My bird populations are going UP! I think one family of bobcats does much less damage than a large number of semi-feral housecats.

At this time, I don't think I should have any trappers on the property. I do not like to tell little lies in life, because that makes it easier to tell bigger lies.

However, some warning signs at my gates about ongoing trapping operations might be very helpful!

Rod, you really don't know for sure if any trappers may have snuck in to your place. So the warning isn't really a lie, it's more an abundance of caution & consideration for the well being of would be trespassers. Remember, it's not a lie if you believe it! wink
1 member likes this
#541408 Nov 16th a 05:07 PM
by Augie
Augie
Very nice! Quality firearms will last as long as someone wants to take care of them.

My old Winchester is more accurate than the operator could ever hope to be.

Two or three rounds a year is all I put through it. Haven't felt the need to shoot paper with it for over ten years.
1 member likes this
#541507 Nov 20th a 04:22 PM
by RAH
RAH
Congrats!
1 member likes this
#541508 Nov 20th a 10:11 PM
by FishinRod
FishinRod
Congrats, SetterGuy!

"Pic makes his antlers look bigger. Ha!"

Who knew that the Condello fish photo technique also works for deer! laugh
1 member likes this
#541401 Nov 16th a 02:23 PM
by SetterGuy
SetterGuy
Originally Posted by Augie
Late 1940s Winchester 70. Grampa Wilkie bought it after he got home from his stint as a ball turret gunner on a B17.

I've owned it since 1986. I should retire it, but I have this irrational emotional attachment to the old thing that I just can't shake off.

That’s pretty cool. I’d keep using it. I doubt you’re wearing it out. I hunt with an old Belgian Browning from the 50s. I bought it used, and it’s pretty darn accurate to 200 yards. Beyond that I don’t trust myself. My dad and grandad never hunted. No firearms in our house. Maybe my grandson pictured above will want it. Here’s a picture of it with my buck from a few years ago.
1 member likes this
#541526 Nov 21st a 10:33 PM
by Zep
Zep
Originally Posted by Incept
Do Moose count?

Yes they count. Pretty awesome.

SetterGuy your deer too.
1 member likes this
#542475 Dec 29th a 11:43 PM
by RAH
RAH
You have some great genetics going! Very impressive buck!
1 member likes this
#542474 Dec 29th a 10:48 PM
by Chris Steelman
Chris Steelman
Wow. Tons of mass.
1 member likes this
#542662 Jan 6th a 05:21 PM
by FishinRod
FishinRod
We are currently in "doe season" in Kansas. I went out yesterday to re-fill feeders so my nephews can still get a deer this season.

I also swapped out my camera cards. I did not realize that my big bucks were capable of reading the Kansas hunting regulations!

I had a picture of one of our bigger 10-point bucks at a feeder at 7:38 AM. It is an easy 65-yard shot from the adjacent blind. He only fed during the wee hours of the night during the entire buck season.

Hopefully, he will be even bigger next season! I also hope he is slightly dumber next year and will feed during daylight hours more often.

(Is it wrong of me to root for him to suffer a slight concussion during next season's rut?)
1 member likes this
#542688 Jan 6th a 09:56 PM
by esshup
esshup
LOL, nope! Best chance of getting him is patterning him prior to the first day of the season and getting him on day 1. BUT the big bucks here seem to have a calendar and seem to disappear the week before our bow season opens which is the first season - opening Oct 1 in non-deer reduction areas.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
New Pond-install a drain
by Heppy - 01/20/22 12:26 AM
Best food choice for yellow perch and RES
by Snipe - 01/20/22 12:02 AM
catfish...do you?
by Sunil - 01/19/22 10:50 PM
Heritage Property Ponds
by Sunil - 01/19/22 10:32 PM
How much spawning ground?
by esshup - 01/19/22 10:30 PM
Build a Dock on Ice?