Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra, Meandvls, Eugene
18,473 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,934
Posts557,697
Members18,474
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
4 members (Boondoggle, Fishingadventure, FishinRod, esshup), 589 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Steve_
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Steve_
Steve_
I was listening to one of Bob Lusk's Facebook Live videos today where he was talking about aeration (I think it was an older video). He mentioned something that was probably minor and well-known to most people, but I wasn't aware of the fact that the tiny bubbles created by your aeration system aren't what adds oxygen to your water, its the pushing of the water in an upward motion, where destratification occurs, and where water can mix with oxygen at the surface. Wow. [Insert Mind Blown Image Here]

So I got to thinking... if the majority of oxygenation takes place on the surface, and if you want to mix as much water with the surface as possible, isn't your typical bottom diffuser a super-inefficient way of doing that? I'd think that paddle wheels or even fountains would mix way more water than the bubbles given off from a diffuser.

And I got to thinking again... wouldn't normal fish movements also stir up the water? Probably minor, of course, but depending on the size of your fish, I could see a lot of surface agitation/aeration coming from normal feeding habits and/or swimming.

Now I'm picturing a 50-ft tall inflatable Bob Lusk, sitting in a pond with a giant spoon, stirring it up. laugh
Liked Replies
by Bob Lusk
Bob Lusk
A key part of this equation is moving bottom water to the top. Ponds stratify. Bottom water has no chance to absorb oxygen or relieve itself of gases as they build in that cold layer. Diffused aeration provides vertical movement of water, where a rock thrown into a pond only offers horizontal movement of what that interfaces with the atmosphere anyway. That's the biggest difference.

I'd love to see that big spoon.
1 member likes this
by esshup
esshup
Originally Posted by Steve_
Originally Posted by esshup
Steve:

Energy wise it is cheaper to move the water to the surface with the bubbles than to pump it. A LOT cheaper.

Yeah, I was kinda thinking that. Water has a lot of resistance, and anyone that's ever used a row boat can attest to that. I can imagine the energy consumption if you tried to rig up some sort of underwater paddlewheel. I guess tiny bubbles it is.

Don Ho agrees too!
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Boondoggle - 04/15/24 10:04 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:52 PM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:48 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Pumpkinseed
by FishinRod - 04/15/24 03:08 PM
Bream Freshly Hatched??
by Snipe - 04/15/24 01:41 PM
What type of babies are these?
by ewest - 04/15/24 01:31 PM
Compaction Question