Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59
18,484 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,799
Members18,484
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
12 members (shores41, Steve Clubb, Justin W, Joe7328, catscratch, Knobber, John Folchetti, Snipe, Sunil, FireIsHot, Boondoggle, esshup), 983 guests, and 231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
4CornersPuddle, tlh2865
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#536148 06/06/2021 1:02 PM
by huskerman99
huskerman99
Hey guys when dads pond was put it its 16ft deep and just over 2 surface acers in length. We decided to put in about a dozen GC into the pond. Well fast forward to 10 years to today. Now we dont have a algae problem with the pond at all which is awesome. But in a way I feel it hurts the LMB due to lack of cover and plants that would grown in the pond. So anyways when I was there on friday I saw one of the GC and that think was HUGE!! I would say about 4ft long and easily 40+lbs. Do you guys think that the GC are a mixed blessing in a pond depending on how the size and how many you put in as far as growth for the LMB? Do you think we need to start taking some of the GC out of there and see what happens as far as algae grown and plant growth? What does everyone think? I just feel like the GC effects the growth of the LMB in a negative way since we mostly have on average 1lb and 13in bass that we have caught the last few years. Now we have caught bigger but it seems like we are catching less and less. The CC and BG are doing awesome in the pond and hopefully the BC and perch will do just as good. I just think we have a LMB growth problem and I think the GC are causing it.
Liked Replies
#536538 Jun 15th a 10:58 AM
by jpsdad
jpsdad
Originally Posted by huskerman99
I see what you guys are saying I think. Like what size do you think we should remove? The typical bass I usually catch is just over 8in long and weighs a (.15 edited) lbs. Do we need to take those smaller bass out, or do we need to take out the big 15in bass that we have been catching? You also said things will change with new fish in it. What did you mean by that? Ik some of the new fish will be eaten but we also put in 3,000 minnows. To hopefully compensate for the BC and Perch that we put in.

An 8" LMB standard weight is around .25 lbs so they are a bit light. Being that light at 8" tells me that you have a great number of LMB. I think I would try to take out a minimum of 30 lbs/acre ... right now as fast as you can catch them ... and then see where they are this fall. There should be a notable improvement in condition by then. At least keep total weight and total number figures. Depending on growth and condition, you may need to harvest the summer production (increase in the weight of LMB which should approximate the weight you now harvest) this fall also.

Meanwhile ... check out bocomo's thread of how he turned his pond around by implementing LMB harvest. It's pointed to the last page where you can see the results of 4 years of harvest management. If you like what you see, read the entire thread because it chronicles the history and a lot of members contributed. It is unnecessary to recreate that here as it covers everything you need to know. I will mention that many who start off gangbusters in the first couple of years never achieve almost 19" LMB with 120 RW. So what bocomo accomplished with a broken old pond is a testament to the importance of population management.
2 members like this
#536581 Jun 16th a 12:20 PM
by jpsdad
jpsdad
Originally Posted by 4CornersPuddle
jpsdad, thanks so very much for linking BOCOMO's thread. Somehow I'd missed that whole thing years ago. Great read.

I went after my overpopulated LMB in a somewhat similar manner. I added adult GSF one year, then adult BG the next. This is the third summer the BG have been in there. There are relatively abundant young BG now from fry sized through 6" and 7". The original stockers are pushing 11".

Bass have yet to respond in any appreciable numbers. Give 'em time.
You are most welcome 4CP! Bocomo's thread is one of my favorites. Congratulations on those >10" BG. I haven't caught one that size for almost 2 years and miss them from a pond that once hosted them. So I enjoy hearing of yours and am looking forward to hearing more of them.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 12:10 PM
'Nother New Guy
by John Folchetti - 04/19/24 11:40 AM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
Major Fail
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:44 AM