Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
1 members (Fishingadventure), 883 guests, and 173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
4CornersPuddle, jpsdad
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by 1997pond
1997pond
Proud new owner of a 2/3 acre pond in central Virginia. My goal is to have a healthy population of BG and LMB with a few bass getting to 2-3 lbs and the remainder being smaller. Long term I'm planning on aeration and feeding bluegill to boost pond productivity. I recognize a 2/3 acre pond will require closer management.

However, I first have to figure out what I got today...

Pond appears healthy having done the basic water testing of Ph, phosphates, nitrates, etc. with everyone coming back in healthy levels. Water clarity is about 24’, good depth throughout with 3’ at banks dropping quickly to 8’-11’ for most of the pond area, it’s light on aquatic plants, some filamentous algae (not bad but watching), and decent structure with numerous downed trees. I've seen plenty of frogs, newts, toads, turtles. A toad spawn(?) last week was both impressive and raucous.

So onto the fish. Over several days of fishing I’ve only caught or seen small LMB. Of the 30+ fish I’ve caught only one or two was much beyond 10 and none of them were fat. They were not tough to catch. Despite targeting bluegill while fishing, I’ve come up empty. I haven’t set a minnow trap but that is next on my list. So far looks it like LMB need to be culled.

I’ve caught and release everything to date, but haven’t done any length and weight documentation.

What are recommended next steps give what I’ve done so far?

As an aside, I’m not willing to do a drain and start over.
Liked Replies
by 4CornersPuddle
4CornersPuddle
1997, it sounds to me like you would consider the challenge of turning your pond around by hands on management called fishing. IMHO, nice problem to have, and just how I've approached improving our 1/4 acre pond.

12 years ago our primary fish were YP and LMB. I fished it for a couple of years just to be sure what really was in there. I wanted to understand the entire ecosystem, not just what fish were present.

What you could do without "hurting a thing" is remove each and every bass you catch, 3" ones, 12" ones, every one. Eventually your catch rate may go down and bass condition may improve.

After a few years of mainly having only small bass here, I began the cull. We took about 300! out. Concurrently we stocked about 25 adult GSF and 25 7-8" BG that were ready to spawn. We now have recruitment of both sunfish. And, our YP are bigger, too.

All of this is to say, start a ruthless, merciless cull. It is unlikely you'd ever kill every bass. Any survivors could be brood stock for the future. They may have lost growth, but they haven't lost their genetics. That is to say they might not reach their potential size before they die, but their offspring can grow to your desired 2-3 pounds once there is more forage for them and fewer mouths to gobble that forage.

With several more fishing excursions using small hooks and pieces of worm for bait, you'll get a good idea of what else, if anything, is in there, and if and what is needed for forage fish addition.
1 member likes this
by anthropic
anthropic
Originally Posted by 1997pond
Great stuff! Very helpful. I am going to edit my orginal post to clarify my goal is to support "some" 2-3lbs LMB. My expectation was not that my pond could support a population that was predominatly 2-3lbs.

I am intrigued about the HSB so will need to check regs and suppliers. I assume they will help reduce the current small LMB population.

HSB are a great idea. What fighters!

One item to think about re merciless culling of 2/3 acre pond: As you take out most of the aggressive, catchable LMB, those that are left tend not to bite artificial lures. Research shows that tendency is passed on to future generations. Thus, you may want to occasionally stock a few very aggressive LMB, perhaps northern strain, to preserve catchable genetics. Just a thought.
1 member likes this
by 1997pond
1997pond
Thanks jpsdad!

Excellent spreadsheet. I like having the formula behind RW=1 and not being tied to charts! Yes, I am a bit of an Excel geek.

I'll keep fishing and logging. Still surprised I haven't gotten or even seen a bluegill but this is a marathon and not a sprint.

The two bigger bass were taken on topwater along banks with deeper water so Matzilla's prediction is dead-on. Virginia warms up before IA. My surface water temp can already hit 75 degrees in the afternoon on a sunny day.

Matzilla,
One question on feeding fish. LMB don't eat the purina fish chow and I may not have BG, so throwing it in may not be doing anything productive. Do you mean something different or I have gone done the wrong path?

I will also keep an eye on the beds. Right now I'm also montoring the emergence of watermeal. This is my first summer and I'm certain there is no such thing as "a little" watermeal. I'm getting suggestions on that in a different thread: Just a little watermeal
1 member likes this
by jpsdad
jpsdad
Originally Posted by 1997pond
So results are in from 5 days of light to heavy fishing (kids were involved).

Caught a total of 51 bass:
- 42 were 6-10"
- 7 were 10-11"
- 2 were 13-14"

For the bass 10" or larger the RW averaged about 80% with a high of 90% and a low below 75%.

I can post pics upon request, but with these numbers I'm not certain that adds any additional value.

Almost all were culled. Each day there was a single pardon granted for the detainees.

So far no BG caught or even sighted in shallows... I'll keep looking for the suspected big BGs that could be lurking.

1997pond,

Using RW of 90% for the 8" LMB and 80% for the >10" LMB, I made an estimate of the total weight of fish that you took out. It's ~14 lbs or about 21 lbs/acre. I'll mention this is a really good dent of the LMB population in a 2/3 acre pond. The remaining LMB will gain as you may have removed about 25% to 30% of the LMB standing weight. According to the creel, the population is predominately less than 10" in length comprising 82% of the population. The less than 10" LMB also comprised 42% of the weight of the sample. If food limited carrying capacity were 67 lbs (not out of line but could be less) ... and if the sample is reflective of the remaining distribution (2 big ifs) ... we could estimate the number of less than 10" fish that are remaining. 53 lbs X 42% is 22.25 lbs of < 10" fish that average 0.21 fish each. So there could be as many as 89 or so <10" LMB still in the pond. I think what you have taken is going to make a difference. I think I might give them a chance to grow some before harvesting more. What kind of grow they make will give you a good sense of numbers and possibly even carrying capacity. This fall would be a good time to thin again if growth and condition suggest further thinning at this time is necessary.

As for the BG ... I can tell you that I target them specifically most outings and I use a fly rod with flies I used to use a lot for trout. Lately I've been using a size 10 scud. Its been a really cool spring and the BG just aren't biting as well as the LMB are. Yes, I have been catching LMB up to around 13" on that tiny fly. Its been a hoot much like you guys had last weekend. It is possible that there are only LMB in your pond but it still remains a possible that they just haven't started biting or were focusing on other foods in the pond your lure didn't mimic well. Anyways, a very good harvest, well done.

PS. Please correct the estimate of the total weight harvested if you happened to get a total weight. Would like to know.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM