Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
4CornersPuddle, Johnny MAX
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Johnny MAX
Johnny MAX
I called and talked to Zetts Fish Farm today and asked if their yellow perch will survive in my pond here is Southeast Texas. They said if it is not too shallow.
My pond is 1/3 acre with a 600' long ditch system for breeding. The main pond is over 25' deep in the center.
Does anybody have yellow perch in their central Texas ponds?

Cody Note: IMO Zetts will tell you anything to sell you fish. IMO YP will struggle and do it very poorly during the summer heat of SE Texas. The younger YP and those less than 9" can tolerate 90F water but I am not sure for how many days or weeks. Many old large YP 9"+ struggle to survive when the water gets above 84F-86F. IMO your best chance of getting YP to survive in Texas ponds is to obtain your broodstock from one of the TX waters that has yellow perch. These individuals have adapted to the TX climate.

Below is information from the link:
https://repositories.lib.utexas.edu...checklist.pdf?sequence=2&isAllowed=y
Check these waters in Texas where YP have been stocked and reportedly occur for obtaining the broodstock YP. YP stocker individuals from other states might be a poor investment?
""In Texas, this introduced species (YP) has established breeding populations only in the Rio Grande near El Paso, in Meredith Reservoir on the Canadian River, and Greenbelt Reservoir on the Salt Fork of the Red River, despite being introduced into many other waters in the state.""
Liked Replies
by canyoncreek
canyoncreek
Bill has special privileges and a special role on the forum. I forget his exact title but he is like the 'knower of truth, bringer of clarity, editor of posts, and spends a lot of time as the layer of memories and assembler of archives' He does a great job bringing people answers by dredging up old posts, linking to archival posts, and often finds it useful to do that within your post.

He also has helped me a lot with my YP adventure. I would agree with him that fish with origins/genetics in the midwest will not do well in hot weather where the water temps start to approach 90 and above as many TX pond owners describe in their posts.

Having a cold water refuge might get you through the texas summer but I'm not sure how you make sure the thermocline in your 25' deep pond never falls apart and the water mixes. Certainly if you do any aeration you are running the risk of losing the thermocline.

Perhaps if you replaced a large percentage of the pond water with cold water from a deep ground source and aerated that water before you sent it in your pond that would work out too.

But it would be a cool thing to learn more about Rio Grande perch and get them in your pond. Keep us posted if you do!
1 member likes this
by Bill Cody
Bill Cody
Johnny - When in the FL panhandle try to catch some yellow perch. Use several as stockers; these ones should tolerate your SE Texas summers. Google YP in FL and it will tell you where YP are in a lake in the panhandle. Or google state record Yellow perch in Florida. I added my comments to your first post instead of making mine a new distracting post so readers could see and read your part of the post first as an active post.

Okay here you go: in Florida, these fish (YP) only exist in limited populations in the Apalachicola River watershed and are mostly unknown to anglers throughout the rest of the state. FL state record 1.47lbs 2005 Dead Lake, Gulf County FL.

Here is a survey list of fish you might catch in the Apalachicola River system in the panhandle of FL. The authors thought the YP probably came from YP stockings in Georgia and the perch migrated downstream south to Florida. Anglers catch YP occasionally.
https://palmm.digital.flvc.org/islandora/object/uf%3A97942#page/22/mode/1up
1 member likes this
by FishinRod
FishinRod
Johnny,

Good luck on the van build and the quest for Spotted Bullheads!

You are correct, that is a pretty catfish.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images