Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,486
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
3 members (Dave Davidson1, Groundhog7, TropicalKoi), 709 guests, and 226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
4CornersPuddle, anthropic, Augie, CrazyCarl, gehajake, nehunter, RStringer
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Quarter Acre
Quarter Acre
I am contemplating adding some fish to my 1/4 acre pond as I believe it is shy of a good population balance. What I think I have....

40 HSB (20 to 30 around 3 to 4 pounds and 10 around 2 pounds),
20 to 50 HBG (all about 1/2 pound),
100 F2 and F3 HBG (2 to 4 inches long,
Zero to 50 Invisible RES (yes INVISIBLE - I have not seen one since stocking 90 of them 3 years ago),
And too many crawdads.

I think this due to horrible catch rates and poor attendance at feed time. AND, my guestimates are probably on the high side. Both the HSB and HBG showed a slowing of growth last year. They are in the neighborhood of 80% relative weight, where as the years before pushing 90 - 100%. The massive amounts of FHM have all but vanished. I think the loss in growth is mostly due to that. It seems a bit backwards that I think I have low populations of HBG and there is that loss in growth, but this is were I'm at with my theory. I think many of the original HBG and RES washed out the drain pipe the first year. I have added a 1/2" screen to the pipe to help keep the YOY in the pond.

My goals are to have much better attendance at feed time, a better forage base for the HSB, and better catch rates.

I am contemplating adding some 10" CC (10 total) for feeding time action and crawdad control, some more RES (20 at 4-5 inches), and some more HBG (50 to 100 at 4 to 5 inches).

I am open for discussions on the above mumbo-jumbo. Talk me into a different species, varying my numbers, hints on where to find the larger size fish, etc, etc...open discussion.

Heck, I have even thought about adding GSF and/or pure BG for getting the forage base up.
Liked Replies
by esshup
esshup
Originally Posted by Quarter Acre
Dilemma: I want to take some HSB out, but they don't want to come out. I will try some more fishing this weekend, but past experience tells me that they don't become susceptible to taking a hook until much later in the summer (and then, it can be far and few in between).

I made 2 casts in the pond this evening by the feeder. I have not yet turned it on this year but it was about the time that it would be throwing feed if it was on. First cast was a 3# HSB, 2nd cast was this 6.75# one that I invited back to the house for dinner.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

1/4 ounce gold blade/chartreuse body chatter bait.

Maybe you just haven't found out what they like yet?
2 members like this
by Augie
Augie
Pro tip - have a buddy hold the wire for you during the test...
2 members like this
by Snipe
Snipe
Bob, you're giving me the opportunity to express a concern I have... :-))
It is bad practice to move any species of fish as adults in pre-spawn mode..
I can't even guess how many calls I've had already this last month wanting to know if I can load up females and get them in a pond so they will spawn this year..
By doing this it is more likely that they will reabsorb eggs as opposed to completing a spawn. Pre-spawn is VERY focal for all species and is a terrible time to move them. period.
Not sure why this bothers me so, but it does.. I see a trend towards larger stockers, and I think that's a mistake in most situations where it's involving a new pond.. Existing pond, yes, I can see using larger sizes but it needs to be done at the "Least" stressful time of year for the "highest" survival.
Sorrry for the rant, I just see some things changing on thought process that I think still need to be held to a standard.
1 member likes this
by Augie
Augie
Everyone needs a purpose in life.

My purpose is to serve as a bad example.
1 member likes this
by Augie
Augie
I'll set up my 275 gallon tote and haul those fish for you, but Jake has to hold the wire while I turn the crank.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM