Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,107
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
11 members (Boondoggle, Dylanfrely, Bill Cody, jbird5986, Deancutler, Angler8689, FireIsHot, Treeguy27, FishinRod, esshup, PRCS), 739 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
jpsdad
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by FishinRod
FishinRod
Several of the Pond Boss experts giving me pond advice have strongly recommended adding forage ponds. I was going to trap some of the baitfish in my local stream (south-central Kansas) and pick some candidates for forage production. Obviously, these baitfish would be well-adapted for my climate.

However, I pulled the relevant regulation for Kansas:

"Wild-caught baitfish may be used as live bait only within the common drainage where caught and shall not be transported upstream across any dam or barrier that prohibits the normal passage of fish."

Does this regulation allow a person to take baitfish to their forage ponds for non-commercial use as long as the ponds would overflow downstream of the location of taking? Or does it only allow baitfish to be used as bait, and dis-allow their usage for stocking a forage pond?

In addition to the common baitfish, there are even some threatened minnow species in my creek. I was also considering growing some of these scarce minnows and making future releases back into the creek to enhance the local population.

I have not seen any regulations regarding the taking of the threatened species of baitfish. The regulations I have seen, typically have pertained to any operations in a stream or river that would negatively affect the HABITAT of the threatened species. (Such as dams and obstructions, low-water crossings, modifying the stream channel, etc.) Could a person raise a threatened baitfish in their own forage ponds and then release them back to their natural range to aid in species rehabilitation?

Finally, I have previously discussed on the forum catching some of my Red Shiners and transporting them to other members if I happened to be travelling in their direction. I even discussed doing this for members in a different state! (Last time I was talking to Snipe he said that transporting sportfish from one state to another is almost certainly prohibited in ALL circumstances, except for licensed commercial operators.)

I would assume these regulations would also apply to baitfish. However, would it be permissible for a person to raise legally-taken baitfish in their forage pond, and subsequently transfer the OFFSPRING to another PB member in a different state? Would it matter if you gave them the baitfish for free (non-commercial), or charged them $1 (to make if commercial, but from an unlicensed operation)?

I would like to read a discussion from anyone with a background on these topics. It doesn't have to apply to Kansas regulations, please discuss the regulations applying to your own state.

DISCLAIMER - All of the comments below are merely for discussion purposes. None of this constitutes actual legal advice!
Liked Replies
by Snipe
Snipe
Rod, caught my local warden. Here is his assessment of the regs and how he believes they are to be interpreted.
It IS LEGAL to take, by legal means, a legal sized fish up to the daily creel limit. It IS LEGAL to transport to your facility.
The problem seems to come to the same thing I believe in... Is it the ETHICAL thing to do not knowing 100% what critters /organisms you are also moving with those fish.
I strongly believe the methods we use to minimize the potential are of the utmost importance if you choose to do this.
If using a tank in your truck to transport, I would use 3 dip nets, 1 to move fish out of livewell, rinse fish IN that net then place fish in salt tank. After 2-3 minutes in salt, use dipnet #2 to rinse fish you extract from salt tank to place in fresh water revival tank. Use dipnet #3 to remove fish from fresh revival tank, rinse and place in transfer tank.
This would be the most proactive process you could do to minimize possible introduction of undesirable organisms or plants.
This is of course not a final answer but how my local 19 yr veteran warden looks at it.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 08:10 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails