Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,975
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
4 members (jmartin, catscratch, Kanon M, highflyer), 1,219 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
DannyMac, gehajake, liquidsquid, RAH
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by liquidsquid
liquidsquid
I am a bit bored, so I thought it would be fun to start a thread lamenting about breaking our nice toys we use to maintain our property and what we have done to resolve it.

To bring a quick one over from the Product Sources forum I did to my nice shiny new Bobcat Compact CT2040 with a front loader. As part of the kit I got rubber-grain filled tires (it is a slurry of recycled tires and sealant fluid) and a 3rd function hydraulic on the FEL for using snow plows and grapples, and a medium duty brush hog.

I am clearing a knot of grapevines, thorn-apples, grey dogwood, and sumac all tied together covering about 2 acres of area. For southerners imagine Kudzu and a dense stand of pine with a bunch of thorny hardwoods well hidden to poke you at every opportunity.

The way to do this is to raise up the bucket, drive in a little, and yank everything down and mash it. Then back up, drop the bucket level and shove. Rinse, repeat until you have made a 10ft tall hedgehog to roll off for burning. Sumac is relatively soft and when dead, quite brittle. Usually it is easy to slice off with the bucket if not pull the entire weak stump up. Well, it got revenge and I sliced a 4" diameter stump off at a long angle where it became a 2 foot long sword. When I drove over it forward, it laid down under the bucket, and the front axle. I couldn't see it. Once the tip passed the axle as I pulled forward... it popped up behind the axil. When I backed up, I proceeded to remove all my plastic fan blades and poke a nice hole in the radiator. Off to the repair shop! It needed it's 50-hour maintenance anyhow, but I don't think warranty covers this one.

Two weeks earlier, I did the same thing, though the stump in that case pushed in the dome on the oil filter. This in turn threw a high oil-pressure flag and the engine shut down. It would not start. Had to get the travelling tech to come out as I could not find anything wrong. Turns out I should have checked the fuse box as the fail-safe is to blow a fuse when that alarm goes off, forcing you to service it. Fuse box. Duh.

Anyhow, what's your story?
Liked Replies
by Augie
Augie
I finally got motivated to fix the box blade that I wrecked while cleaning out my pond.
New OEM parts and the shipping to get them here was going to run past $275, which seemed a bit steep to me.
Instead I decided to buy some steel and build a new hitch from scratch. Spent maybe
$75 if the cost of welding wire/rods, shield gas, and electricity to run the welders is included.
This new hitch should be much more durable than the original.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
3 members like this
by Bobbss
Bobbss
Originally Posted by RStringer
The 1st week I got the Kubota I put a dent in it. I was drinking and playing on it (not a good idea). Was raking down the side a of tree taking some lower branches off. Got hold of a bigger one and had to bend it to the side a few times. Slipped off the bucket at one point and came back and dented the hood. It also swiped me across the face. Almost like it was telling me to get off the tractor and Bit@h slapped me for it. LOL
Rusto I stopped drinking over 29 years ago, and while I can still do some stupid shxx, it doesn't happen as often. lol! I wish I would of stopped smoking sooner. About a week after I bought my first brand new truck I had a coal fall of my cigarette and burn a hole in the seat.
1 member likes this
by Dave Davidson1
Dave Davidson1
Squid, I have multiple mail order things that I haven’t received. Guess they haven’t been shipped from China.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by sprkplug - 04/26/24 11:43 AM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:39 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:26 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by FishinRod - 04/26/24 10:12 AM