Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand, Jward87, Kanon M
18,498 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,942
Members18,499
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
11 members (Fishingadventure, Bill Cody, gautprod, Justin W, Sunil, shores41, KenHorton, Donatello, phinfan, FishinRod, Theo Gallus), 887 guests, and 351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
brianv31, Huntmaster
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#523939 07/24/2020 7:03 PM
by Huntmaster
Huntmaster
Well what started out as a plan to have my one acre dug pond be a SMB/YP/RES pond has taken a bunch of turns along the way. I have posted the past stocking and changes on here as well as my build thread. I'll use this thread to talk about where I go from this point forward.

Here's my previous stocking/discovery thread if one wanted to review some of the past. Past Thread
My build thread is in my signature line and that will give you an idea of the amount of structure and things I added to the pond for the fish. In short, I have a square pond with rock shoreline on two sides of the pond that extends below the water several feet. On one side (~1/4 of pond), I have a broken concrete shelf that slowly extends to about 15' of water. I have two shallow sandy coves that are about 3-4' deep along with a beach area for the kids that the fish use often to spawn. One shoreline of the pond that is next to the feeder has filled in with cattails that seem to provide a good spot for small fish to hide and grow. I am also starting to get some bottom vegetation growing, some good and some bad that will need to be treated that I'll address in another post as we move thru this thread.

I currently have SMB, YP, GSF, LMB, GS, RES, RES/GSF hybrids and at least one pike that I know of. Based only on fishing results, we still have ample amounts of young and old perch, a blooming population of LMB, a poorly recruiting SMB population and strong numbers of GSF. I am still currently feeding the fish on auto from a feeder. Had very active feeding in spring, but has slowed down lately with the warm temps. I have three young kids that have grown to love fishing, so I want to maintain a decent catch rate but also grow some good sizes. I don't need to grow the largest fish in the area if it will take away from the kids enjoyment while fishing.

I also have an airline buried from the barn to the pond that I plan to connect to an aerator in the near future if that will help the pond in any beneficial way.

With all that said, I do understand that with my growing LMB population that they will out compete the SMB and put a hurting on the YP and may eliminate those as well. So, my thoughts are leaning towards needing to stock some BG soon to keep the food supply going as the LMB reduce the YP and GSF populations. I am not sure on what quantity I should do that and also need to work on a LMB managemnt plan so they don't over populate the pond as well. Any suggestions are welcome!

Based on the LMB that my boy caught yesterday, the pond has had a great start and I'd like to keep it heading in the right direction even if it's not the same destination that I originally started towards. 3.86 lbs @ 18"

[Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com]

Not sure how many of these guys are in there, hoping only this one as my boy says "it accidentally got off the stinger" I would guess that to be boy speak, "but Dad I really want to catch him again!" Hopefully he keeps some of the LMB numbers in check.

[Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com]
Attached Images
Liked Replies
#523949 Jul 25th a 01:44 AM
by Pat Williamson
Pat Williamson
Those smiles says it all!
1 member likes this
#523950 Jul 25th a 01:50 AM
by anthropic
anthropic
Both LMB and NP look quite healthy! Congratulations on a job well done, especially for your kids.
1 member likes this
#524122 Jul 30th a 05:35 PM
by ewest
ewest
I think you have a plan that should help with your goals.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by FishinRod - 04/24/24 01:18 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:21 AM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:17 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by FishinRod - 04/24/24 10:04 AM