Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,975
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
4 members (jmartin, catscratch, Kanon M, highflyer), 1,219 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
anthropic, esshup, FayetteTX, Hirsch56, jpsdad
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Zep
Zep
For those of you that fight birds....

I have recently had some luck keeping birds from pooping all over my patio furniture by drilling a hole in the funriture and sticking a spinner in the chair.

You can still sit in the chair while the spinner is there....and I've gone from poop on chairs when I arrive for the weekend, to no poop on chairs.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Bird Deter Spinners
Liked Replies
by Zep
Zep
I assume the disco ball I added this winter to a tree near shore may help deter a few birds too.

I've had less birds this year.

This short 20 second video I took last weekend shows the "streak of light" that shoots across the pond sometimes from the disco ball.

https://youtu.be/uOUJnA_dzbc
2 members like this
by Jambi
Jambi
Cool idea. This might work to deter those dang &*@@ swallows every year that want to build (errr.....sling mud everywhere....) under our eaves.
1 member likes this
by anthropic
anthropic
We have hummingbird feeders on the porch and, well, hummers would occasionally fly into the windows trying to get inside. Usually they were okay, but we didn't like it. Why did they do this when they had food outside?

I looked around and realized we had a red flower arrangement in the living room, fully in sight of the porch. Put it away, and the thumps stopped.
1 member likes this
by jpsdad
jpsdad
Originally Posted by anthropic
We have hummingbird feeders on the porch and, well, hummers would occasionally fly into the windows trying to get inside. Usually they were okay, but we didn't like it. Why did they do this when they had food outside?

I looked around and realized we had a red flower arrangement in the living room, fully in sight of the porch. Put it away, and the thumps stopped.

Enjoyed this recounting very much Frank.

I share couple of my experiences as well.

When may wife and I made a trip to Colorado (our first) we timed it around ice out in the Taylor River Valley. We were fishing Taylor Reservoir just after the ice broke but snow was literally everywhere. My mom loaned my wife a straw hat. As we fished a hummingbird dropped by and just hovered trying to take a sip from the flowers embroidered on the hat. Was a hoot. I remember thinking these early birds were going to starve but later that day we had lunch at a resort up the road and they kept dozens of feeders out that were absolutely swarmed. There were plenty of gnat to mosquito sized insects out including baetis mayflies for their protein needs.

So then we moved to Colorado. And made trip to OK to visit the folks several times a year. Returning from a Christmas trip that had a huge snow we were driving back where the snow was piled up on both sides of the road. I began noticing dead birds on the road and I soon hit one myself. After the second, I mentioned all the dead birds and talked with her about what may be the cause. We decided that they were responding to late to clear cars as they approached and so we slowed down to 50 mph. Dang it seemed slow be we didn't hit another bird. Unfortunately, a lot of folks whizzed by us giving us WTF looks and we saw a lot more dead birds on the road ahead, but at least we didn't kill any more. Actually we only had to drive a couple of more hours to where the grass was uncovered by snow and we stopped seeing birds huddled on the roads.
1 member likes this
by FishinRod
FishinRod
Zep,

The disco ball "effect" on your pond is awesome. Hopefully it will really aggravate the herons and cormorants.

An additional bonus would be if you can get your fish to start dressing in polyester and gold chains. I am sure that dress code combined with the disco ball would lead to some epic spawning behavior in your pond!
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by sprkplug - 04/26/24 11:43 AM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:39 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:26 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by FishinRod - 04/26/24 10:12 AM