Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Bennettrand, Jward87, Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101
18,496 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,935
Members18,496
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
13 members (Don Kennedy, ghdmd, phinfan, Theeck, Justin W, Drago, Augie, Shorthose, emactxag, Sunil, 4CornersPuddle, SetterGuy, Dave Davidson1), 827 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
gehajake
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Quarter Acre
Quarter Acre
...to "Quarter Acre Cesspool". My pond looked very promising the first year that it filled after being de-mucked. It's now in it's 4th summer. Ever since then the water has consistently gotten worse in appearance. This year, the clarity has been no better than 12" and the worst of it is that the surface cycles in and out of various levels of scummy, filmy, bubbly, surface conditions. I've given up trying to make a difference and have resorted to just waiting...

[Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com]

[Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com]

I'm not posting to to get solutions here...I just want to rant a bit as this pond dream is testing my patience. My mind wants to solve the problem and on the flip side...I cannot devote the time and money into filtering this cesspool with an industrial sewer treatment system.
Attached Images
Liked Replies
by Quarter Acre
Quarter Acre
All's good with me and mine, I've switched to an old car project and old Pontiac research has taken up my forum time...besides the pond is on autopilot! smile

I did add CC and the craw population plummeted. The CC got big a bit faster, I'm sure. There are still a few craws, but it's an odd day that you see one. Haven't trapped the last two seasons.

A few CC have been caught this year...nice and healthy and a fun catch...they were returned to get hook shy...lol

My take on my pond is that the aeration kept the whole pond at/or above 80°F and was turning it over for max sun exposure (during the hot months) and it was conducive to the funk. The craws were surely contributing to the suspended matter, but the cats must not be. Anyhow, the little pond looks better than it ever has with good-to-decent shore plant coverage.
1 member likes this
by Quarter Acre
Quarter Acre
Originally Posted by tim k
Looks like a losing battle to me - been there done that - I finally found a different pond

Definitely not a lost cause. I'm hoping it's coming into its own. This has been the best year yet, so far! Fish are big and plentiful, water is more clear than previous years this time of the season, catching has been easier and impressive, and no scum to look at. It may not be a big BOW with record fish, but I really enjoy feeding time and taking the granddaughter there to catch 20-30 fish with a fly. in an hour.

I'll give it next year without aeration and go from there. May convert the air-pump-house to a fountain-pump-house for mere aesthetics. I need to ladder stock some more HSB and a few more CC...I'm thinking.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Sunil - 04/24/24 07:49 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 10:22 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/23/24 10:00 PM
Concrete pond construction
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:40 PM