Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,976
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
3 members (jmartin, Pat Williamson, catscratch), 1,204 guests, and 350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
esshup, wbuffetjr
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#522837 06/23/2020 4:25 PM
by canyoncreek
canyoncreek
I have been very happy with my vertex setup. I believe I posted about my experience doing a self-install of their upgrade kit in another link. The instruction sheet was hard to follow but with some feedback to the company they allowed me to make some suggestions and edits to that install self-help sheet. I'm not sure if the suggestions were incorporated into their literature but I do see the literature was changed slightly. If anyone is going to tackle the upgrade/rebuild of their vertex 1/4hp compressor, feel free to shoot me a message.

Randomly, and for reasons i can't explain the other day I walked by my compressor cabinet while it was purring away quietly and touched the box. It was so hot that it frightened me! I unbolted the cover and looked in side and sure enough the cooling fan blades were stationary and the AC motor on the cooling fan was humming. It had seized! But when? And why? maybe this happens after 5 years or so? I use my only a few months in the summer and then only in the overnight cool hours of the day. It sits in the shade so doesn't get much abuse from the elements or the sun. Boy, I hope I didn't ruin something but glad I found it.

I did struggle to find the exact AC cooling fan to do the repair. The one in the vertex unit has as IP55 water splash resistance rating. That model seem to be hard to find or order. I was able to find a match with all the other parameters on ebay except that splash rating. I see that these AC fans are used to cool cabinets and also are used to cool elevator cars.

I ordered a replacement eager to get this aerator going again in the humid hot weather we are having.

I went to install it and had a senior moment!! What way was that old fan blowing? Was it blowing in to blow air across the compressor, or was it blowing OUT to pull air from inside the cabinet and move it out? Does it matter? Now I'm not sure! If someone has a Vertex unit and has time, can you walk out and see if the fan is blowing out towards you or sucking air into the cabinet?

I also realized when I got back inside that there are TWO screens that protect the fan blades, one is a fine black aluminum mesh that obviously mounts on the outside to keep fingers out. But then there is a larger stainless steel grid that must go on the inside?

Why don't I take pictures of these things before taking them apart?

I'm hoping the replacement fan goes for a while since it doesn't have the exact same outdoor rating. I also have to put that on my check list once in a while to walk by and make sure it is cooling the compressor properly.
Liked Replies
#523079 Jun 30th a 04:04 PM
by Augie
Augie
New grad engineers should spend five years working as field techs before they ever get turned loose with AutoCad.

Lots of stuff would work better, work longer, and be easier to service if the guys that designed things had to spend some time fixing before they started designing.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 02:11 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by sprkplug - 04/26/24 11:43 AM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:39 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:26 AM