Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod, JRM
18,493 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,956
Posts557,905
Members18,494
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,531
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
4 members (teehjaeh57, Snipe, Kanon M, Boondoggle), 506 guests, and 176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Esa77
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Esa77
Esa77
Hi I'm concerned I may have just added too much aeration and mixing in my pond too quickly via air pump/bottom diffuser. Everything I read was positive about these systems but now the fish are acting strange, looking for some advice to hopefully avoid a fish kill.

I've read a few other posts on this forum trying to understand the new aeration process and it's been helpful. I'm looking for specific advice on my situation from anyone that can help or offer advice. Thanks in advance. smile

I have a natural improved pond about 1/3 of an acre, roughly 130 long and 100 feet across, max depth in the middle is 6-7 feet. It's kind of a bowl with submerged vegetation (I think hydrilla) along the entire shoreline going out about 10ft but center of the pond is weed free. There is a considerable muck build up on the bottom, esp in middle of pond. Water is extremely clean though and minimal floating weeds/mung/algae.

A very small stream feeds the pond, it's a spring fed stream although right now in upstate NY it's barely running.

There's smallmouth bass in the pond up to about 12 inches.

We recently stocked rainbow trout up to about 15 inches.

The fish were fine for a week, acting normal and happy until I added the big aerator and diffuser yesterday afternoon. Everything was fine earlier today then tonight I noticed many of the trout swimming around in the shallow water at the pond's edge. They looked ok and swam away fast I as I approached them, but I'm concerned I'm headed for a massive fish kill... water temps are in the high 70's now which I know is not helping the situation.

Yesterday I added the 3.1cfm pond aeration system pump (60hz) with 4 nine inch diffusers on a plate and a 50ft weighted hose. It's a good system that pushes a lot of air, but I'm worried I ran it for too long too fast right away and may end up killing my fish because of noxious gas, etc. No dead ones yet, but don't have a good feeling..

This is my first time adding aeration to the pond, it's never had it before. I ran it for over 24hrs straight immediately, in middle of pond in 6ft of water.

Is the aeration/mixing causing toxicity and the trout to basically try and swim out of the water???

There is no sulfur or noxious smell coming from the pond or the aerator..

I turned off the aerator completely tonight, should I have done that? how I should proceed...??

Please help, I don't want to lose all my fish...

Thanks
Liked Replies
by Shorty
Shorty
A general start up procedure is to only run your aeration for 15 minutes on day one, then double the run time on each subsequent day. 30 minutes on day two, 60 minutes on day three, etc. Going 24 hours on day one can cause problems and a possible fish kill. With trout present I would seriously consider only aerating overnight to keep water temps down.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:33 AM
Bluegill problem
by Snipe - 04/22/24 11:55 PM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by Boondoggle - 04/22/24 11:40 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Sunil - 04/22/24 09:00 PM