Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,115
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,419
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
3 members (esshup, Bobbss, teehjaeh57), 728 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
anthropic
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by TGW1
TGW1
I spoke with my contractor about building a small forage pond and this summer we hope to get it built. Due to location it will have to be seined to remove the forage fish. So, anyone have any advice on what size it might be? Plans are to build it like a paint roller pan. And where is to be located it should get plenty of water both ground water and runoff.
Liked Replies
by FireIsHot
FireIsHot
Tracy, I'll start out by saying that for the most part, I've enjoyed my hatchery pond as much or more than my big pond. It's far easier to micromanage, and obviously taking care of the water is much cheaper. I've raised or grown out RBT, LMB, CNBG, HSB, and Tilapia at some point, and all did very well. For me the RBT are the easiest to grow out and remove, and Tilapia were as easy to grow, but a royal PITA to get out. They'll jump over a net like a gazelle when crowded.I've stocked thousands of fish into my big pond, and probably killed that many when I started the whole hatchery thing. I will say that I've never stocked any volume of my hatchery fish that permanently corrected a imbalance in my big pond. Results were temporary, some longer than others, but still temporary. As most of us know, culling LMB still remains a priority. If you decide to do this, give me a shout this fall, and I'll run down and give you a hand.

I guess the actual size of the pond will depend on how many fish you're wanting to supplement your big pond with. There's really no need to make it 40-50 wide at the bottom, and have to manhandle a larger net. A shoe box shaped hatchery pond can replace circumference volume with length. And by that I mean that you can have 20-30' wide pond, and make it as long as you want to get the volume you need.

The shoe box shape works well for several reasons. For me, having to seine a round pond means that you're spending a lot of time dragging the excess net in muck, or on the shore, because there's only one point in time when a properly sized net actually fits the pond, and that's at it's widest point, the rest of the time you're just wrangling with the dead weight of the net. I know Esshup, TJ, and I have all had to address that same issue. By having parallel banks, a net can be smaller, always stays in the water, and generally just easier to deal with. "If" I was going build a new hatchery pond, I don't think I'd make it any deeper than 5', with a flat 30"-36" deep area at the end of the pond that I'd use as a working area to pull the fish out. The shallower flat gives you a level working area, that's easier on the fish, and a lot less work for me. Next time you go to Todd's, look at his ponds if he has one drained.

Hatchery Pond Potpourri. Just stuff I've learned over the years. No science, no general truth's, just observation and experience.

Water volume's not a bad thing. I've only pushed my HP to sketchy levels once or twice. Nothing worse than having to remove fish because of a potential O2 crash. I've got a semi-permanent platform for my 3" pump, that's set up as a surface aerator. I use it quite a bit, but usually in late summer. Having a HPond close enough to add water from the main pond can sure be a benefit.

Seriously consider the possible implications of a feeder. Unlike a regular pond, single species hatchery pond fish like CNBG, usually spawn at the exact same time, which means fewer mouths feeding for a few days. A day or 2 of little or no feeding, because of a spawning cycle or a cold front, can dump uneaten food into the pond. On a small pond like this, you really, really, don't want that.

Learn your fish, and feed accordingly. The only time I use a standard 1/4" etc. pellet, would be for an original stocking if graded fish from a hatchery are stocked. after the first spawn, there will quickly be various sizes of mouths to feed. Bruce Condello referenced this same thing on one of Bob's podcasts. Feed your fish early, and feed food that is appropriate for their size from then on. I carry 4 different food sizes in coffee cans, and hand feed each food according to the volume of fish eating it. I carry bottom of the bag fish food dust for fry, 2.2mm, 1/8", and 3/16" pellets. I feed Cargill, and the 3/16" pellets aren't as hot as the 1/4" pellets, which is why I use it.

Stock, and then, if possible, maintain a survivable population of FHM's . I've yet to stock a fish that wouldn't eat fry of any type, so there's always something for them to eat.

Set a fish target size, and stick to it. Nothing more fun than watching a bunch of 6-7" CNBG chowing down on food unless you were wanting 3-4" CNBG.

Accumulate a good water testing kit. Water is obviously very important, and you need to be able to easily check the status of HPond water.I use usually check, PH, hardness, nitrates, and alkalinity. Maybe more is needed, but that's all I check. After a heavy rain, hardness and PH seem to be the ones that change the most.

Keep pond bottom angles as gradual as possible. Sharp angles can allow nets to lift off the bottom when pulled, and fish will swim under that gap.

"Dry" seine a pond before you ever put a net in it. And by that I mean, walk through every step of the fish transfer from the HPond, to the main pond, and acumulate evrything need like, buckets, dip nets, how the fish are going to be transported and released, etc. This leads to the next point.

When moving fish, keep the fish in water as much as possible. Buckets are good, dip nets are bad.

Sonar is your friend. Weeds in HPonds can really make seining a chore. Because of the size, treating a 1/4th of the pond at a time is labor intensive, and can become a part time job here in the south. I've been using Sonar RTU the last few years, and 1 bottle usually handles everything I need treated in a very slow manner, so less stress on the fish. Well worth $100. We're stocking our tilapia this weekend, and I'll probably throw 5-10 males in the pond to handle the algae part.

I don't seine fish in water above 85 degrees, or below 50 degrees. Less potential stress if staying within those temps.

If I'm going to continue a one species HPond for more than one cycle, I pull my jumpers, and throw them back in the HPond as my brood fish. They're the biggest, and most aggressive, and those are traits I want in future spawners.

Ok, Tracy, I'm done rattling. Hope this helps.
1 member likes this
by Snakebite
Snakebite
I`ve raised prawns for a few years now. I prefer the taste compared to a saltwater shrimp. It has more of a butter taste and as long as the meat is either consumed quickly after harvest or directly frozen it will maintain the texture.
1 member likes this
by Snakebite
Snakebite
I do some for my own consumption, but I do sell some locally. I`m in the process of expanding the process so maybe I can document that. I have no issues with birds what so ever. I never see the prawns until near harvest when I start checking for weight per prawn. The only time I can ever remember even seeing them in the pond without me trapping was at night a small amount coming shallow to feed on shoreline aquatics. I would say coons would be the biggest worry.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails