Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
3 members (Layne, Angler8689, anthropic), 616 guests, and 135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
RStringer
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by a3fan11atick
a3fan11atick
Hey guys ... I built this system a few years ago but after re reading a bunch of the forums I think I could tweet my system a bit .. my pond is 1 surface acres.. I would say .75 acre of that is the main pool and is 12 ft deep the other .15 is a tapering cover and the last .10 is a sandbar point ... I calculated roughly 3,296,619 gal and shooting for turning over 2X a day or 7,235,233 gal.
right now I have a cast 0523.. I have 1/2 pex going 275' to a manifold by pond.. I have 100' of 5/8 weighted line going to 2 vertex 9 discs
( I also have a shallow 3' deep vertex I switch to at the manifold in the winter that's 20' of 3/4 pex under water)

im coming up with about 8# psi I should have that being for the depth and the two diffusers.. but my gauge at pump is reading 12# of back pressure and I think its creating the pump to get hotter than it should.. I think these gases are rated to 10 psi.

problems
1. I think I need to change the 1/2 pex from pump to manifold to hopefully drop back pressure a few pounds.
2. I think with my setup and the size shape of pond I should run another 9" vertex off manifold towards the other end of the pond since the main double is off center of the main pool right now and away from the shallower cove..

it gets super hot here in the summer in western Illinois and I plan on turning over 2x per day so in the summer I can have my home automation turn the thing off when outside temps get over a certain temp or just at night... is this a good idea if so what would be ideal outside air temp to turn off at..

I have HSB stocked and this pond is low with little airflow I have sonar holding duckweed at bay but hope to correct pond with aeration and bacteria...

Is there anything else you could see could use improvement or other ideas or critiques?
Thanks everyone!
[img]https://ibb.co/p2fJwZ3[/img]
[img]https://ibb.co/znnvqgY[/img]
Liked Replies
by Quarter Acre
Quarter Acre
There are better planned pump boxes that other members have put together. Hopefully they will post some pics for you, but here's my pump out- house...

[Linked Image]

The exhaust for the fan is the little rectangular screened opening at the top front. The fan is inside that opening blowing outward sucking air across the pump. I don't think it makes much difference if the fan is pushing air out or pulling it in from a cooling point of view, but I did not want to suck rain water in so I mounted it blowing out.

Here is the inside...

[Linked Image]

There is a long screened slot under the pump shelf that allows the air to be drawn in and across the motor. The pump is behind the white panel directly behind the drop light and the pump house has a false ceiling it that the fan lives in. So, it pulls air from the open area inside the house up through the enclosed pump shelf cabinet and through the false ceiling and out the top front. Rule of thumb...make the opening in the box opposite the fan twice the size of the fan cross sectional area. This applies wether you are pushing or pulling the air.

The only thing missing in the plumbing is the dump valve that I added by the pop-off valve.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??