Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand, Jward87, Kanon M
18,498 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,942
Members18,499
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
11 members (Joe7328, MOLINER, Justin W, Fishingadventure, Bill Cody, gautprod, Sunil, shores41, KenHorton, Donatello, phinfan), 845 guests, and 389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
RStringer, Stressless
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by platon20
platon20
I have a 3 acre pond that is heavily forested. There are tons of very large tree branches with multiple branches that have fallen off the surrounding trees in the water.

I'm debating whether I should clear some of this stuff out. Many of these branches are extremely large and can't be carried out of the water so I would have to use a chainsaw or something to cut them into smaller pieces.

The good thing about keeping them in the water is that i presume that it provides the smaller fish a place to hide from bass predators?

On the other hand, these large branches make it hard to get to the far corners of the pond in my boat. Also it disrupts waves generated by the pond aerator and I noticed that the water in the corners is a lot more brackish and more pond moss in those areas.

Is there benefits to clearing out these large tree branches or should I just leave it be?
Liked Replies
by Bill Cody
Bill Cody
You mention most of the pros and cons of utilizing the large tree branches. There has been published research that the branches do improve the quality of the fishery for both forage and predator. One other pro is the branches are surface area for growing communities of attached algae and associated invertebrates that increase and enhance the productivity of the pond. It is for you to decide weather the branches are to go or stay. Or compromize and decide how many should stay. My only suggestion is to allow some with the large end on shore so they can be more easily removed (draged out) when needed.
1 member likes this
by Stressless
Stressless
Platon20 -

I have a farm with all my ponds surrounded by forest. I've found it very beneficial to the yoy, predators, my back etc to just drop the tree(s) into the pond. For esthetics I cut the limbs that may be above water level off at or just below the water level.

This is I dropped into the pond '19 when I cleared the view to the pond. IT was leaning 20d over the pond so no way to pull it back - so SPLASH!
[Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com]

tree with the limbs I wanted to cut off - I thought the log would be a turtle sunning spa - nope, geese and wood ducks love it thou...

Another tree I cut late this winter - based on how well the first one was used I decided to drop this one in as well.

Used above and below...

Current - it sank thru the ice as it melted and settled - about 18' deep there. I'll take the Kayak out and trim the little branches off a couple inches below the the water level.

Good luck - A pond does not equal a pool... wink
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by FishinRod - 04/24/24 01:18 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:21 AM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:17 AM