Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
JackTimber, AMW, DoubleDigit, plkmjhuy, lanebj18
16900 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics38,278
Posts519,196
Members16,901
Most Online3,583
Jan 15th, 2020
Top Posters
esshup 24,505
ewest 20,317
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 13,451
Who's Online Now
9 members (anthropic, Pat Williamson, MOFishermen, Bobbss, TrapperUtah, BranClanFarm, rtripple, snrub, RSF), 247 guests, and 428 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
anthropic, ar_confederate, esshup, gehajake, Heath Lawrence, Hope2020, Pat Williamson, Paul FNG, rjackson, RStringer, SetterGuy, ShortCut, Steve_
Original Post (Thread Starter)
What did you do at your pond today? #448762 06/02/2016 4:40 PM
by canyoncreek
canyoncreek
There are other online forums that have a great 'sticky' thread that stays at the top of the list all the time. They usually have one that allows everyone to post under the heading of 'What did you do to your 'X' or with your 'X' (classic car, John Deere, pickup truck) today?' That allows for random posts, pictures, thoughts to go in one area without creating new threads all the time.

If such a thread exists on PondBoss then I'm happy to move this one or remove it. Is there a way to create a sticky thread that stays near the top?

As I was trucking out loads of leaves from the pond I thought we need a place to post random pictures of what maintenance tasks, projects, or other random things people do at the pond.

As I was throwing the weighted landscape rake in and dragging it back out and trying to get at least some of the many oak and maple leaves that fall into the pond, I was contemplating whether this work was worth it. Some nice neighbors going by on their walk were laughing at me and said it was far easier to simply cut down the trees that overhang the pond. It gave me food for thought at least... But I'm sure many leaves that end up in the pond are from trees that are deeper in the woods and not only those on the immediate boundary of the pond.

It was heavy/hot work, but hopefully worth it to remove a couple hundred pounds of organic stuff.

I raked on tuesday, let the long row of leaves air out, then raked into piles and went around with garden tractor and utility trailer and forked them into the trailer.

As I dragged in the leaves I saw some salamanders, a few tadpoles, baby dragonflies, even managed to capture one goldfish with the rake. Unfortunately also raked out hundreds of chinese snails again.

Despite sealing the pond bottom, we have had dry conditions and hot weather the last 2 weeks. The pond is dropping from evaporation. I can start the well but hoping that rain will do the trick eventually.

While working around the trees on the edge I noted these vines that have leaves that look suspect for poison ivy. The dog charges through the woods chasing things and then brings the poison ivy oil to the kids on his fur. I'm not sure I can always tell poison ivy from other 3 leaved vines. I thought the 3 leafs of poison ivy didn't have the irregular or jagged outlines (like sassafras leaves to, see the top leaf in the first picture) or maybe not? Here are 2 examples.

Liked Replies
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #525867 Sep 14th a 03:48 PM
by Augie
Augie
The day that I've been waiting for, the day that paid back every bit of the $$$, toil, and suffering that it took to resurrect my pond, finally arrived.

Between the COVID panic, military obligations, nuclear reactor training, and all of the other assorted craziness in the world today, it's been over
six months since I've been able to see any of my grandkids. Things worked out to where they were all able to come for a visit over the weekend.

This one is Lexi. Just turned 5yo, she belongs to my oldest son Justin and his wife Amanda. Lexi has been asking to go fishing since the first time
she saw the pond after it filled, so she got to go first.

9/12/20

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Then it was 4yo Rhett's turn. He belongs to #3 son Taylor and his wife Rachel. This kid is a pistol. Pretty sure he's going to be the one that
turns out to be Grampa's fishing buddy.

This is 7yo Lennox. He belongs to Taylor and Rachel. Poor guy suffered a brain injury at birth and is severely challenged mentally. After seeing
the other two catch a few he looked at me and said "Fish, Grampa?" You could have knocked us all over with a feather at that moment in time.
It was obvious that he'd been paying attention. He grabbed the rod and the reel handle just like how I'd been showing the other two to do it, and
dipped the jig in next to the dock like a pro. Soon as he felt a tug he was cranking on the reel like he had Moby Dick on the end of his line.
Moments like this don't come along very often for this kid. I'm glad I was able to be a part of it.

Wife Jamie, daughter Leah, and Logan - the doberman that thinks she's a Lab rode herd on Lexi and baby Ruby while the boys were fishing.

There was way too much going on to get weights and measures on the fish we caught, but just from visual observation they are doing very well.
Every one of the RES and BG/HBG that were caught were in great shape. Most of them were in the 8"-9" range. I was especially impressed with
how thick the RES are across their backs. I don't have a lot of experience yet with the YP, but they looked to be in good shape too. We caught
half a dozen of those, all in the 7"-8" range, so I'd assume they were all fingerlings from the first stocking in September of '19.

But this day wasn't really about the fish, it was about the kids. The fish could have all been stunted 3-finger BG and it wouldn't have made a
nickel's difference in the amount of fun that was had and the memories that were made.
5 members like this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #521948 May 31st a 01:11 PM
by gehajake
gehajake
Setterguy, I think if you look up in the dictionary what a pond is meant to be you will find a picture of your scenario there, quiet peaceful mornings and enjoyed to the max by everybody on a beautiful weekend, fishing swimming and camaraderie, family time!!
In this area people spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for a cabin on the Lake Of the Ozarks,and if you dont spend nearly that much on a boat you will get turned over in the wake of a 100,000.00 dollar boat, the surface gets so rough you cant enjoy fishing or anything,, sorta makes the money we do spend on our private little fishing honey hole, playground a little more reasonable,,, and Ill take the privacy every time.
3 members like this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #519974 Apr 26th a 02:01 AM
by RStringer
RStringer
Theres one happy little camper right there.
2 members like this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #521949 May 31st a 01:16 PM
by Paul FNG
Paul FNG
Originally Posted by gehajake
Setterguy, I think if you look up in the dictionary what a pond is meant to be you will find a picture of your scenario there, quiet peaceful mornings and enjoyed to the max by everybody on a beautiful weekend, fishing swimming and camaraderie, family time!!
In this area people spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for a cabin on the Lake Of the Ozarks,and if you dont spend nearly that much on a boat you will get turned over in the wake of a 100,000.00 dollar boat, the surface gets so rough you cant enjoy fishing or anything,, sorta makes the money we do spend on our private little fishing honey hole, playground a little more reasonable,,, and Ill take the privacy every time.

110% this right here.

On that note, yesterday we bought a molded jon boat for our little slice of paradise...but evidently there has been a run on oars during Coronatine so the little trolling motors had to make due with halves of a small kayak oar.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
2 members like this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #524852 Aug 18th a 02:48 PM
by snrub
snrub
Went for a swim in my RES/SMB pond. Was hot and dusty mowing around the ponds with my little tractor and bush hog type mower so I just stopped and jumped in.

What I found interesting was the shallow thermocline. The top two feet was very warm water then very nice cool water below. That there was a thermocline was no surprise but I was surprised at how shallow it was.

I did not go out to deeper water to determine if there was a second thermocline but I suspect there was. I'm guessing the top two feet was warmed up by the sunny hot day. A few weeks back my grandson and I did a scuba dive in this pond to brush up his skills before going on a week long diving vacation. At the bottom of the pond it was pitch black and cold. I suspect that anoxic water is still down there but I did not check it out.

It is so interesting having three ponds within close proximity of each other. This RES/SMB pond had a really good algae bloom with about 2' visibility. Can't see a fish at all unless they come to the surface to hit a pellet. A hundred feet away is my old refurbished pond and it is clear enough I can see fish lining up at the bank waiting for me to throw them feed. Maybe 3' visibility with a rather poor algae bloom.

Another difference in the ponds are the aggressiveness of the SMB. In the RES/SMB pond the SMB only have themselves to compete with. Pellet feeding can be pretty aggressive or lackadaisical, depending on the day. But in the other two ponds the SMB are in there dukeing it out with the BG, HBG and CC. Very aggressive feeding. I can catch SMB in the two ponds where their population is fairly small in the scheme of things as easy or easier than I can where there are only SMB in the pond to bite the hook.

Just some anecdotal observations.
2 members like this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #526487 Oct 2nd a 03:01 PM
by MisterA
MisterA
Whoa Nellie - not all pondmeisters desire to grow big LMB. Granted that seems to be the majority of folks interest but there are a lot of us that focus on other species - especially if the goal is table fare. I personally enjoy catching a 9" - 10" BG (sadly I have never caught one bigger than 10") as much as I do a large LMB. To me a big BG is more of a rare occurrence than a say an 8# LMB. As long as there are enough bass and no spawning habitat, channel cats can be controlled and provide great table fare - the key being to harvest which goes back to table fare.

My pond is 1-1/4 acres and was here when I bought the place. If it was bigger and I started from scratch the trophy LMB fishery might be a goal but adding habitat is difficult when the pond is already full. It doesn't take too much fishing to overfish a small pond and get hook shy LMB. I like to fish so I want species that I can wet a hook and do some catching not just fishing - especially when the grandkids are here. Maybe I am just not a good LMB fisherman.................
2 members like this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #526928 Oct 20th a 12:38 PM
by Flame
Flame
My Dad and 2 of his brothers all in the army at the same time. 2 were at the battle of the Bulge. My Dad a little later fought in Japan. They also spoke very little of it. So proud of all of them and ALL our veterans!! Guess we got off subject of what we did at our pond today except Pat I agree there are things we see that remind us of the past while sitting at our PEACEFUL PONDS !!
2 members like this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #527002 Oct 23rd a 02:08 AM
by anthropic
anthropic
My dad got a medal for a night bombing mission during the Korean War, but he was quite reluctant to talk about it. The most I could get him to say was that they often looked for places with lots of flak & anti-aircraft fire, because they figured the Norks were defending something valuable, like a bridge. When I asked why they deliberately put themselves in the riskiest part of the sky, he just smiled a little and said, "We were young."
2 members like this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #519984 Apr 26th a 02:17 PM
by Augie
Augie
Nice YP. Will go nicely on a plate with some fresh morels.
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #520693 May 7th a 09:59 PM
by snrub
snrub
Brrrrr.

Not me without a wetsuit!
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #520817 May 10th a 04:51 PM
by Bobbss
Bobbss
Jeff, that sure looks like a nice one to me!
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #520890 May 12th a 12:08 PM
by SetterGuy
SetterGuy
I like the look and the shade of trees around the pond, but I know they pull a lot of water out, and they sure dump in a lot of leaves. This time of year it’s the pollen and the flowers. Still, it’s the clearest my water has ever been.
Pollen and flowers all pushed into a corner.
[Linked Image from i290.photobucket.com]
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #520894 May 12th a 01:12 PM
by RStringer
RStringer
The trees sure do make your place look nice.
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #520907 May 12th a 04:18 PM
by canyoncreek
canyoncreek
our leaves are just starting to poke through the buds making the branches look 'fuzzy'. You are quite a bit ahead of us with the pollen and leaves. Soon our water will be floating green like yours. The leaves are no fun to rake but the trees are nice to have around. Looks good!

Did you decide to add walleye or HSB next?
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #520909 May 12th a 05:15 PM
by Redonthehead
Redonthehead
I spent the better part of Saturday treating my tan colored pond with alum. Secchi disk reading went from 8" to 36" by the time I was done. With windy conditions the next day, I was dismayed to see only 24", but realized I could see the the downwind side was very clear and you could see a distinct line in the water between real clear and less so. Evidently the wind blew the best water over to that side, kind of turning the pond over. The day after that things seemed to be uniform and I could see the secchi disc spin at 40". Hopefully this lasts a long time!
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #521141 May 17th a 05:18 PM
by snrub
snrub
Same here Tracy. I was tongue in cheek when I estimated the cost per pound It is likely a lot higher than I even said.

It is a hobby. A place to throw money down a hole that makes no sense other than it makes us happy. Something to keep us out of the bars and drinking ourselves to death. We have to occupy our time with something. Better it be something that is non-self-destructive.

John
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #521224 May 19th a 01:24 PM
by Paul FNG
Paul FNG
Originally Posted by SetterGuy
That’s a lot of rock to haul with that Ranger. Are you loading it by hand? Hope not. You’re a tougher man than I.

Yes...I dunno about tougher, cheaper perhaps :-)

Triaxle delivered 22.5T, not sure how much we're putting in the bed of the Ranger each load but it has a pretty healthy squat before we go dump it and place the rock by hand.

Thankfully for me, wife and young boys are onboard with helping...loading the Ranger only takes about 5 minutes with unloading and setting another 5-7.
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #521462 May 23rd a 02:18 AM
by RStringer
RStringer
I love these evenings. I hope it stays like this all Memorial weekend.
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #521790 May 28th a 03:07 PM
by Zep
Zep
Great pics Cisco....

I think this is my favorite....those kind of moments make it all worth it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #521818 May 28th a 08:54 PM
by ShortCut
ShortCut
Cisco - Looks like a big golden shiner
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #521815 May 28th a 08:48 PM
by Cisco
Cisco
Love time with the little ones! Plus they think I'm smart
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #521943 May 31st a 12:47 PM
by ewest
ewest
Nice work !!! Great pics.
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #521975 Jun 1st a 10:42 AM
by Dave Davidson1
Dave Davidson1
That's what its all about
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #521978 Jun 1st a 11:38 AM
by Pat Williamson
Pat Williamson
Yup Dave they are our future, gotta mold them the right way for sure. Good job!
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #521982 Jun 1st a 01:16 PM
by anthropic
anthropic
Look at that grin! Wonderful to see a new generation of fishermen developing.
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #521985 Jun 1st a 02:08 PM
by snrub
snrub
That is a tough little kid. I lipped a bass like that the other day, it flipped and it shredded my thumb with its teeth!

I'm a weenie. I wear a glove most of the time.
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #521954 May 31st a 02:06 PM
by SetterGuy
SetterGuy
Thanks all. It was a very good time. Strange benefit to the lockdown..

One last pic. This guy is five and a half. He put on a little GSH, cast it out, set the hook, and reeled it in. And released it..
[Linked Image from i290.photobucket.com]
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #522333 Jun 10th a 05:52 PM
by Augie
Augie
We got ~2.5" rain from the remnants of TS Cristobal. Pond ran over the spillway all day yesterday. I picked up a couple dozen baby RES from the yard yesterday evening and tossed em back into the pond. Picked up another half dozen that were still kicking on my lunch break today.

The mini-B trap is proving to be very effective at catching small sunfish. With it setting on the bottom of the pond in 3'-4' water I was collecting mostly young RES, so I decided to see what would happen if I suspended it with the top just barely under the surface. Done that way I'm collecting 90%+ BG/HBG, with the occasional RES and GSH mixed in. I never used any bait when I was soaking it on the bottom, but I've found that with it up top it's more effective if I toss in a piece of bread crust.
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #523532 Jul 12th a 06:31 PM
by TGW1
TGW1
I had a tom cat like that but lost him due to old age a couple yrs ago. He would travel with me like a dog would do. And I have to admit it we still slip in a little feed at the house. Like you said and I enjoy seeing the fawns when we do. It's about the only way I see any fawns and thats when the deer are hanging around the farm house checking for feed or feeding.
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #524829 Aug 18th a 02:25 AM
by Pat Williamson
Pat Williamson
Originally Posted by Steve_
Originally Posted by Pat Williamson
They can spot you from 200yds off! Hard to sneak up any.... have to convince them from where you are.
Been to hot to fish so been pig hunting at nite..... 14 in two weeks.... gonna go tonight

Can you eat them? Pig hunting sounds awesome.

Yes they are as good as any pork but a tad bit tougher... shoot a young one and split it length wise an BBQ it yummy it’s so hot to be processing. It’s a blast to hunt them
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #524840 Aug 18th a 11:30 AM
by TGW1
TGW1
Keep am eye out for the Cormorants, I believe they send out scouts and if there is forage for them there may be additional birds show up. Keep up the pressure on them.
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #525359 Aug 31st a 04:23 PM
by Augie
Augie
Completed construction of a 1/4" mesh Z trap over the weekend. This one is a 2'x2'x2' cube. There are three 3/4"x3" openings in each funnel.

The primary use for this one will be the removal of small BG/HBG and sampling for yoy YP.

Two overnight soaks - no bait, in 4' of water - yielded 200+ BG/HBG/RES, half a dozen small crayfish, and a handful of GSH and FHM.
The RES go into the pellet training cage. BG/HBG/crayfish/minnows are transferred to the new forage pond.

The 2' height is probably overkill, and makes the thing a bit unwieldy to dump, but my thinking was that I'll use a 4' seine as a lead when I get
serious about sampling for yoy YP, and a tall trap may be more effective than a short trap when deployed in that manner.

If I wanted to catch hand-size BG , I'd use 1/2" mesh, cut the height down to 11.5", and put a single 1"x5" opening in each funnel.

1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #525436 Sep 2nd a 04:59 PM
by RStringer
RStringer
Seems like a good place for this.
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #526118 Sep 20th a 05:10 PM
by ShortCut
ShortCut
The previous owner of my house lopped off the tops of four fairly large live oaks that were either overhanging the roof or severely damaged over the road. They were unsightly and not helping the remaining four oaks. A friend was in town and we went to work yesterday. Four new live oak log benches were added to the pond! Used 8ft old fence posts as levers to load them on my old light weight boat trailer.
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #526459 Oct 1st a 01:24 AM
by ewest
ewest
Often when some fish are stressed a few who are able to continue functioning will feast on the stressed. Good example - we rotenoned part of a lake and the non stressed fish from the other end of the lake moved to the transition zone ( where clean water met rotenone) and dined on the dying fish. Got out a rod and caught 9 big LMB ( 5-7 lbs) on 11 casts using an injured shad lure .
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #526504 Oct 3rd a 03:47 AM
by esshup
esshup
Largemouth Bass, color not pronounced probably because of the muddy water.
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #526747 Oct 14th a 11:56 AM
by snrub
snrub
Dry as a popcorn fart here.

And duuusssty. "Dusting" in winter wheat in this area.

Oh and I have an announcement. Wife and I are going full retirement. Selling out the farm equipment and renting our land out to be farmed by my nephews.

Have not decided to sell the bulldozer or not. Might "need" to build another pond some day. grin
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #526773 Oct 15th a 02:23 AM
by canyoncreek
canyoncreek
I certainly hope it goes well and turns around for you. But on this forum there are easily 94 dirt mover contractors like him that are unable, unskilled, unwilling, or un-honest enough to give you what they promised you to every 4 or 5 that can and will and do. (and the 4 or 5 that are able and willing will honestly tell you how busy they are and when they truly can focus on your pond even if that means a 2 year wait).

I know the 94 bad and 5 good add up to 99. The 1 out of a 100 (or 1 out of a million) is Mike Otto... smile
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #526777 Oct 15th a 11:06 AM
by gehajake
gehajake
Replying to Steve, I really hope this works out for you better then I think it will, I can see him needing to get 25% down for a commitment but the breakdowns and money problems are not your problem, if he is not manager enough to swing a little job that size he has issues, the Jesus card is usually my first alert, a person of faith doesn't really have to display it on his bumper. seems like the worst I get screwed over, or attempted to, is by the ones with the Jesus bumper sticker. Good Luck!
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #526791 Oct 15th a 07:19 PM
by Steve_
Steve_
Originally Posted by gehajake
Replying to Steve, I really hope this works out for you better then I think it will, I can see him needing to get 25% down for a commitment but the breakdowns and money problems are not your problem, if he is not manager enough to swing a little job that size he has issues, the Jesus card is usually my first alert, a person of faith doesn't really have to display it on his bumper. seems like the worst I get screwed over, or attempted to, is by the ones with the Jesus bumper sticker. Good Luck!

Thank you for the support. Sadly, he never showed up this morning like he said he would. I called and left about a 2-minute voicemail. Its disconcerting that he has his phone off, because it went straight to voicemail, and has been that way for about a week now...in the beginning he would answer my calls. I guess I need to give him an ultimatum, "have it done by this date or I'm taking you to court."

I don't know what else to do at this point. It's funny about the Jesus thing, because the first guy that came to look at my property did the same thing. He even said, "All I can do is try my best and let God do the rest" or something along those lines, when I asked him how certain he was of this project being a success. I'm not religious, but it makes me angry to see people use this tactic to get money out of you, and reassure you that the job will get done. I should know better...
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #526824 Oct 16th a 03:47 PM
by Augie
Augie
Summer heat is giving way to autumn chill. First frost of the season last night. Surface temp in the pond is down to 64°.

Switched from 24/7 aeration to daytime only. I'll run it that way until the ST hits 50°, then shut it down for the winter.

I've got the materials on hand to set up a bubble hose around the dock to keep it from getting locked up in ice when the weather turns bitter.

Been packing muskrat tunnels in the evenings after work. Think I've hit about half of them now.

The HSB seem to be adjusting nicely to their new home. I don't see much of them during the mid-day feeding, but they come out
with gusto in the evening. It's nice to see those big splooshes when they grab a pellet, or a minnow that's nibbling at a pellet.
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #526872 Oct 19th a 10:59 AM
by TGW1
TGW1
I think it is so cool to see those old planes. I would love to pilot some of those old war birds. And i understand why u would be proud. If it was my dad that took those risks to protect the world I would be proud of him also.
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #526878 Oct 19th a 11:25 AM
by Pat Williamson
Pat Williamson
Tracy
I am very proud. , he is gone now and bad thing is he would not talk about it so there is something missing.
1 member likes this
Re: What did you do at your pond today? #526898 Oct 19th a 06:44 PM
by Dave Davidson1
Dave Davidson1
Pat, my Dad also wouldn’t talk about it. My Mom kept all of his letters that he wrote home. I have them from both Africa and Europe. He left about 2 months after they married. They were married on the day before Pearl Harbor was bombed.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
Brad Bortz, kennyboy1951, Riverdale, Wikedhd
Recent Posts
Winter Trout Stocking
by anthropic - 10/24/20 10:41 PM
Aeration for Fall and Winter
by jpsdad - 10/24/20 08:44 PM
Alternative forage ideas for Trophy LMB
by jpsdad - 10/24/20 04:28 PM
A spot or two for ducks and fish
by esshup - 10/24/20 01:43 PM