FishinRod

The FWT (red) Bright Dyes is a liquid.
The Korky plumbers dye tablets (blue) are a compressed powder tablet. You can get these at Home Depot.

The blue dye is just a small tablet I threw down locally. That sinks right to the bottom for convenience.

I hadn’t thought about the buoyancy of the dye relative to the water temp, that is an interesting idea.

One could chill the liquid dye to help it to sink initially. I’m not sure how long that would maintain that temp before acclimating to the pond water temp that is surrounding it at that water level. Would be worth a try with balloons.

Happy to share our experiments and findings if they can be helpful in any way. We’re experimenting as we go. After fighting this leak for the past year, to see the significant progress here recently has been exciting. I know if you have a pond leak, you can relate to the frustration…and elation when you come across something that works. I know this won’t be a cure all for every situation….but maybe a tool to add to the tool box that may be worth a try.

I don’t know what kind of daily leak volume threshold a pond would have to be at for the dye to be helpful. We were losing 80,000-100,000 gallons per day at its worst. Would a 25,000 gallon a day leak produce enough suction to pull the dye? I’m not sure yet.