Originally Posted by FishinRod
I too have had excellent success in the past using chartreuse lures.

That is NOT a color found in nature.

Is it purely a visibility issue? Do predator fish species have color receptors in their eyes that are that sensitive and discriminating?

Excellent observation and question !

Color is in the eye of the beholder. wink wink The color I see above the water is totally different that what a fish sees given the less-than-clear water it lives in, depth and light intensity. But....

If I have any superstitions regarding lures, it's color. It's like watching a miracle take place that I become a believer for the rest of my life after what I just saw: fish biting a specific lure in that and maybe a few other colors. No need to carry 10 colors when 3 will do.

Match the hatch-is-nonsense IMO. But fish senses are cued in to detect specific motions that cause them to react. Is color another?
So, as in the above example, chartreuse, orange and black are perch colors that stand out, teasing predators to attack as is their nature. On the other hand, pearl, and pumpkin with green or blue flakes in soft plastic or in a silicone skirt, simulate nothing yet after so many fish were caught on them, I have to believe they will work anywhere given the specific lure that caught fish.

Many colors and color combinations have done well - some that are in-their-face when it comes to color brightness and contrasting, black stripes, dots or coachdog patterns. Do eyes on a lure matter? Nope! That isnot superstition, just fact.