Originally Posted by Rangersedge
Trying to figure out how to get a nice size building on the island so we could just keep a mower there and store several of our kayaks there; but... looked at 8x20 kit that is mainly plastic. Worried it wouldn't last. Thought about building one (see time constraints and lack of good carpentry experience). Any suggestions?

Being an excellent carpenter is difficult (just like being an excellent anything else).

However, building a small, square garage/shed does NOT require you to be an excellent carpenter and is well within your capabilities IMO.

Further, you can do it in small steps - which should match your schedule.

You can dig and set your four 4x4s that will make up your corner posts in one afternoon. They can sit exposed for a few weeks until you can do your framing and roof.

A gravel floor should be sufficient for your purposes (or even just an elevated dirt floor). The big box hardware stores carry inexpensive roll up doors that are smaller than a garage door and easy to hang.

I suspect you could find some pretty good plans on the internet, and then determine from that if a DIY build would match your time, budget, and skill restraints.

(I have seen lumber prices are going down, but I have not done any large projects lately with pencil to paper to truly see if the prices are now reasonable.)

Good luck developing your "island paradise"!