Originally Posted by ArkieJig
jpsdad I'm with you on the BH but why are you opposed to FH? I thought either FH or CC would be fine in a pond. I bought the minnows from a bait store here in Malvern and didn't know what they were was just checking out my tanks. When the FHM 1st disappeared during a cold front I was talking with the supplier and described the minnows as staying shallow and on the surface he said it sounded like a mosquito minnow so I don't really know if there GAM. Since posting the CC and their fry have moved away from shore so will have to wait to try and identify.

Arkie, I was thinking you wanted an LMB pond. I thought FH would be too competitive. Water will support a similar standing weight of either ... but not both together at each weight. FH aren't great pond fish and have a tough time recruiting with LMB and/or BG. They seem to need more water or at least water with lots of deadfalls and such for cover. Typically the FH population ranges from less than one to about 2 maybe 3 fish per acre comprising the vast majority the standing weight. I enjoy FH though and used to fish for them a lot in creeks and lakes where I grew up. Delicious fish but very difficult to manage for a pond. If you want them, just understand that they will not recruit very well and maybe not at all in a small pond and that they will never stop growing as long as there is prey to eat. This is really the challenge to FH as I see it. Without a good source of 7" to 10" Stockers and diligent harvest of fish 5 to 10lbs you would probably be disappointed.

Do your mosquito minnows look like this?