Originally Posted by jpsdad
A few weeks ago I observed a 16" LMB foraging. I was well above it looking down and all the fish were behaving as though I was not there. The LMB would try to position itself relative to a potential prey and then accelerate towards it. But every time the prey would react and skirt out of the way in a direction askew to the motion of the LMB. I will mention that the LMB displayed foraging activity throughout the entire time. Constantly moving and trying to get a good angle and proceeding to accelerate multiple times.

jpsdad,

Was that bass foraging in open water?

If so, then your observation may show the importance of "ambush cover" for bass.

That factor could actually be more important than the size and quantity of available forage!

If a bass has to expend the energy of 50 attempts to catch a meal compared to a bass that only has to expend the energy of 3 attempts to catch a meal, then the latter bass could grow more quickly - even with less than optimal available forage.

P.S. How were you observing the bass from the high vantage point? I didn't know if a nice drone was part of your "pond supplies" since you have a son (or sons?).

It certainly frustrates me to take people fishing, and then have a very poor outing. I am pretty sure we presented lures to the fish - but the fish turned up their noses. I have little doubt that I would be a much improved fisherman if I could determine what I was doing wrong - especially on the days with no feedback from the darn fish!