Just thought I’d give an update to anyone interested. I did my first attempt at spraying last weekend. Sprayed 2 tank fulls (2 gallon hand sprayer) of a mix of Diquat and cutrinePlus. I think I did 8 ounces of Diquat and about 4 ounces of Cutrine in each tank.

Because I was getting to the spraying late (due to a combination of getting slow response from Neighbors on the pond about being ok with me doing treatments, and due to weather (windy, cold, cloudy days that weren’t good for treatment) the weeds had already gotten pretty thick in some areas and reached the surface fully.

I sprayed those mats along the shore about 1/3 of the pond. I’ve been checking to see how they responded. It appears there was some impact at the very surface, but underneath the weeds still seem to be growing.

I sprayed again this morning, on a different section of the pond, with an increased amount of Diquat (approx 12 oz in a tank) and also with non ionic aquatic Surfectant added. Will monitor and see how this goes and see what I should try next.

From my reading it seems like the issue I’m going to run into is that since the weeds already reached a matted level, it’s going to be difficult to get the spray down deep enough into the water column to really kill them. I saw mention of dragging underwater hoses to describe spray deeper. I don’t really have any capability for that since I’m just using a hand pump sprayer in a canoe…

Anyway, we’ll see how this second spraying goes. Trying to be careful and not accidentally kill too much at once and cause any issues with the fish in the pond. So would rather mess up on the careful side and have the weeds grow more than I’d like, than go overboard and kill fish.