How I prep coyote traps:

I really like the MB 550's for 'yotes. Don't forget that you have to dye/wax them before use. MB550 two coil I only use the two coil. Just because I trap mostly in sandy soil, and use freeze proof dirt (waxed dirt) that I make with dry dirt and paraffin. I don't need to use the four coil to break through the frozen dirt. waxed dirt

I will add a shock spring and a MB crunch proof swivel to the DP coon traps and I made my own anchors because of the sandy soil here. I needed to use 24" or longer earth anchors for the traps. I can pull them up with the tractor, or just bury them under the dirt after I'm done trapping if the ground is froze. After a year the cable is rusted enough that it will break vs. pull the anchor out of the dirt.

Berkshire soft ground earth anchor

swivel

split ring

shock spring

chain

I also use trap setter to make setting the DP traps easier.

Fireishot is using the Freedom brand, I have the Duke brand and use the setting tool. DP Traps There are DP traps out on the market that only work if the trigger is pushed vs if the trigger is pushed OR pulled. I only use the ones that are the push/pull type.

If you just want to target coons, then use mini marshmallows for bait. Very few other critters are attracted to them - maybe 'possums 'cause they will eat anything. I will use fish food pellets to attract critters to the trapping area. Simple and relatively inexpensive way vs. other attraction scents. Or just use a fishy smelling dry cat food.