Originally Posted by Rainman
Perhaps Setterguy can chime in on how many YP he harvests, at will, per year in a SMB pond I stocked for him several years ago. I stocked 1500 3-6" YP, 20# Fathead Minnow and 25# Golden Shiner. Later we added 100 4-6" SMB. He does use a feeder, throwing Optimal and/or Purina Aquamax, and harvests several 1 pound YP a year and catches smallies in excess of 4 pounds

Just found this. Sorry I didn’t reply sooner. I may not be the right guy to comment. I had great success with YP in the first few years after stocking. Caught maybe 50 nice sized YP every summer, and really enjoyed them.
The last few years, we have kept very few. I’m not sure what happened. There are just too many possible reasons for the decline in numbers. We stocked some HBG, they turned out to be a problem. I think we’ve reduced their numbers enough that “hopefully” they aren’t hurting the YP population. We have a lot of golden shiners. Schools of them. Hopefully the SMB are keeping them in check, but I’m not sure. Maybe they eat most of the YP fry. We have a GBH that practically lives on the edge of the pond. I originally didn’t think he was there that much, until I put out a game camera. Recently we’ve had cormorants and otters. They may have cleaned out more than I thought. Although both are no longer visiting.
I may not have enough cover for the YP fry. Although we now have American Pond Weed in abundance. We went from seeing 10-15 YP ribbons every spring to 2 or 3. However, pond levels are always fluctuating in the spring. I may have more ribbons than I see.
We do have lots of crayfish and lots of glass shrimp. Netting through the leaves along the bank catches quite a few. So, two years ago we restocked some YP.
Hopefully we will start catching YP again. They are our favorite fish to eat. (And clean)
I do run a feeder, but I don’t feed very heavy. Our pond has had issues with blue/green algae in the past.
I don’t aerate, that may be part of the problem. I also live 90 miles from my pond, I’m sure that contributes to the problem.
What it boils down to, is having a sustainable YP population, at least for me, is not easy, and it’s not simple. But when they are there in numbers, it’s worth it.
After all this, I know why the Missouri Dept of Conservative recommends LMB, BG, and Channel Catfish. Ha!
I need to win the lottery, and have a full time pond manager on site. Ha!