Awesome Stressless, love the success you are having, I have 4 boxes out for two yrs already, 2 expensive plastic ones and two made out of 8 or 10" pvc pipe, they look good and I have wood ducks on the pond every yr, and young, but have not had them use my boxes yet, that I'm aware of, I have several acres of flooded timber in the back end of the pond and they love it, always ducks around but I am not giving up, I should have a perfect scenario for them, I am going to add a few wooden boxes this winter, and see if that does any better,
The ice was thick enough last week to go out on and work but had some other stuff I got done on the ice. I have a ton of dead trees in the water, was going to just saw the top off of one about the correct height and set the box right on top of the stump, the rest of them I have mounted on 2" steel pipe with a base plate that is lag bolted down to a stump.
One Question I had was, out on the water, mounted to a stump or tree, what are the odds of a snake making its way up to the nest box and getting to the eggs? I have in the past had some giant water snakes on this pond, seems like fewer now then in the past, don't know if the LMB are taking care of some of the smaller ones or not, before they get big, Ive eliminated a few of them myself, wife freaks out about them being close to our campsite.