I have addressed this with the State of Kansas as well. Being in the unique position I am, having recruitment of smallies every year, AND having our supervisors out and fishing my pond I can say that they are preaching from the 1957 thought process, that's what they were taught.
Most state personnel have their own gut feelings and have been taught to follow state "beliefs".. I've been lucky enough to spend many nights in groups of these guys/gals during WAE egg-take missions and I've blasted holes in most all of their theories about "you can or can't do that".
One of the best days was when 1 of our region 1 Bio's called me and made the decision to stock a 2.2a community lake with SMB.
Recruitment and growth has been fantastic-another notch in the post for us.
Then, after telling this same biologist for 2 years that the next state record yp would be caught from my pond, he had to swallow his beliefs and come verify the catch last Feb.
There is a "wall" between what they are taught and the private sector, and like Dr.Luke says, politics play a huge role in what they do, bigger than most would ever believe.
Most agencies will also bow their neck at private sector reports, at least that's been my experience, but again, in my case, I get opportunity to have a captive audience frequently and am close enough with some of these guys that I pull no punches.
Another thing I might mention is we work with Iowa during our egg-take to get them some "early hatch", as we obtain eggs from Iowa for a "Late hatch", and these guys are no different in their thought process than my own state guys-and I don't pull any punches with them either, and I can say with certainty that they too are restrained from personal opinion when in a public setting. I have used some of these opportunities to discuss pond management and share experiences of fellow PB'ers here-in other states. They clam up when I go into private sector talk, very evident what they are taught to believe, which is why my respect for Bob Lusk, and what he has achieved is 80000% more clear to me on how Lusk broke a barrier in this industry. He turned the "we don't recommend that" into "By God, I'll show you how it's done"..
For my 2 cents, I would remind the department that they are using data older than the folks implementing it. I suspect I know how far it will go, but ya gotta speak your mind and show them proof.