Originally Posted by sgtmac11b
Originally Posted by FishinRod
sgtmac,

There actually is one YP supplier in Kansas!

Snipe (real name - Kenny) runs a facility a long way from you in Goodland.

Here is the link to his web page at Aquatic Specialties.

Aquatic Specialties

He also does SMB, RES, and BG.

That is a long way to travel for a small order. However, many of the suppliers are quite creative in making multiple deliveries on a single long run.

I would definitely contact Kenny if you are still interested in a small order of YP and SMB. It might work out to be cost effective if he can add you to another delivery in that region next spring.

Good luck on developing your pond!
I just shot them an email. Thank you all for your input and help regarding YP. Will see what happens!

Building my spawning bed this week in what should be 2-4 feet of water when full in the shallow corner of the pond. Water will never be super clear since it's clay bottom, so I'm thinking they'll spawn a little shallow. Going to use cinder blocks as the retaining ring, line the bottom, and use pea gravel for substrate. It will be located about 10 feet from a brush pile that sits in a little deeper water.
I'm in the Joplin area about once a month. Being a forum member, I'd haul ya some fish on a run before spawning in spring. I've got Pittsburg, McCune and Baxter Springs to hit in early March.
We'll talk soon-Kenny.

EDIT: pay close attention to the words Bill Cody speaks.. I have a few concerns as to, #1, BG, they will not react how you may expect.
Stocking numbers- You cannot rely on SMB controlling any noticeable number of BG and 20 SMB at 12" is WAY a plenty and even with 5lb SMB present in my own pond, 3-5" BG are the most abundant size class and I trap every day of the summer removing these with a few WAE and SAE present and 4 HSB at about 3lbs now. I had a very abundant YP population until I tried to pull something sneaky to control BG and stocked 12 WAE and 5 Saugeye. As they both grew, my YP started disappearing-except the larger, less abundant sizes.
We need to discuss this further.