Originally Posted by LuckyDuck
Originally Posted by esshup
If you want to use it as a forage pond, you need to remove all the predators. That means killing the pond off and starting off with just the forage fish. Rotenone applied by a licensed applicator, or drain down the water, apply hydrated lime until the pH reaches 10+ wait a few weeks and refill with water. Test water to ensure pH is correct, then add the forage fish.

While the water is low you can add spawning habitat and make it easier to seine out the forage fish by removing shoreline brush and things in the water that will catch on the seine.

If I remove most of the predator fish could I expect reasonable success building up the minnow populations or is that expectation a waste of time and effort ?
I’m not interested in completely starting over.
When the pond is low I can throw a large bait net and clean the pond up pretty good.

You would build up the minnow population for a short amount of time but the bait fish would provide great forage for the predators that are left, they will rapidly multiply to fill the void.

If you aren't willing to press the reset button, then the only thing you can do is try it your way and report back with the results. You can always push the reset button later!

But please report on your results, that's the only way people here will learn what works and what doesn't work. Theory is great, actually doing is even better.