Originally Posted by canyoncreek
Wow, thanks for the great update!

300 YP!! that is a big load. I'm sure they will do great and the great thing about YP is that you can easily control population by removing egg strands. I also find that any kind of shiner when present in large population will wipe out the YP fry so it is hard to get the next generation a sure foothold.

I'm clearly showing my novice here but how in the world are you picking out the 2 yr olds from the 3 yr olds? You can tell from how they look what year they are? So my son's buck from the picture you can spot that? I'm impressed! Or maybe you know the deer from seeing them on your game cameras?

I LOVE everything about fishing I probably could get hooked on hunting too. The thing for me so far was the time needed to sit alone in the blind or walking through the woods and also gun safety was something I wasn't feeling very skilled in. Once we figure out this whole thing about harvest, prep, processing and learning to enjoy the meat I think the rest will fall in place. My son has a crossbow that he finds not nearly as interesting/attractive as his 20 gauge. I may take it over and learn to use it.

I'm determined to keep moving my 2 Duckhuts this year and hopefully find a place they find to be acceptable to start a nest.

Thanks for the update and please keep us posted on your new population of RES and YP.

Here is a primer on aging bucks on the hoof...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]