My 14 year old son is just getting into deer hunting. We have a lot to learn. Built a raised blind with help from his Gpa. Probably way more deluxe than it needs to be with flip up windows and a tin roof. He learned to paint it and I had fun guessing on what kind of camo pattern one might use for a winter scene while mixing together all kinds of old house paint I had left. I found out you can only store cans of paint so long and the lids rust on. Glad I found out before the room was ready to repaint inside. I mixed and matched and went for a more gray background with brown trees since the backdrop of the blind now shows trees, sky and no leaves. If the deer hunting isn't his thing the kids can surely use it as a very nice playhouse the other 3 seasons!

He has a crossbow but isn't keen on using it. He wants to sit in the blind and watch and wait for now, use trail cam to see what might be out there and actually shoot come gun season. That means hunter safety course, picking out his first gun, learning how to use it safely, how to clean it, how to store it. Then pick a scope, sight in the scope. All new to me but I ask for help from nephews who know the ropes. We are getting ready!

In August he created two food plots with rototiller, rake and hand seeder. Apparently they are working since we are seeing does and a few bucks on trail cam. We are in a wooded area with houses on roughly 1 acre lots and some protected land due to power lines and swamps/ravines that make houses not possible to build.

The groups of does and young ones are almost like domestic pets as they watch cars go by in the neighborhood and seem unfazed. We see a smaller buck out in the open but the trail cam caught a much nicer buck. I'm going to try to see if I can get the video to upload here. His body seems lean but rack looks nice.

Last night another group of hunters came near by his blind after dark and said they shot a large buck with cross bow but lost the blood trail. Hopefully it wasn't this guy.

[video:youtube]
[/video]

Another look, I believe same deer:

[video:youtube]
[/video]