Originally Posted by FishinRod
Originally Posted by FireIsHot
I agree with Pat. Our butchers told us that a lot of it depends on the shot. Clean shots, good meat. Poor shots bring adrenaline into play.

I have heard the same thing about deer. (Too much of a rookie to know the truth of the matter as regards deer.)

Would a head shot on a smallish hog be the best course if you were picking one out for eating?

Head shot or where I said to shoot them in the crease in front of the shoulder. That severs the spine and they drop on the spot, dead. Ditto for deer, the 6 or so I whacked last year all were head shots, total tracking distance for all of the deer last year was less than a foot. These are does, more of a population control/freezer filler than anything else. If there isn't much wind and under 150 yds,I wait until they are calm and grazing in the food plot or on acorns, and squeeze the trigger. I am usually shooting from a seated position, either in a tree stand with a rifle rest or from a folding cloth camp chair with a set of trigger sticks. .243, 85g Barnes TSX bullet @ 3350 fps mv. It groups less than 3/4 moa from a bench @ 100 yds, so the accuracy is there