I tried this stuff once in a very small, seasonal, pond that I own when it filled. I stocked 2 types; bluegills and copper nose. They were 3 to 4 inches. The pond lasted about 3 years before drought and heat dried it out. It hasn’t dried out since but may if we don’t get some badly need rain.

The offspring that I could identify as crosses grew to the same sizes of the non crosses.

What I couldn’t identify were the progeny of cross/cross, cross/original donor, etc. the original stocker progeny were obviously non crosses.

Texas drought and heat ended the project. I seined the whole bunch and added them to the larger pond.

Re Green Sunfish. This 1/4 acre pond is about a mile from the house. I don’t live on the property. I first stocked it about 35 to 40 years ago with fatheads, bluegills, redears, cats and bass. Cormorants have gotten all but one catfish, all the bass and the larger sunfish. When I make it there, I feed them. I also seined my creek and added a bunch of sunfish. In those days I didn’t know the difference but I later figured out that I had added the “dreaded” green sunfish.

The greens have bred/cross bred with the original lepomis and have now, many year later have become the only species. Yep, they can take over a pond but, in this case, has taken dang near 25 years.

The upside of the green guys is, in a perennial drought stricken area, is that they only spawn annually. Like all other fish, 95% of the offspring get eaten per Lusk. That cuts down on the O2 crashes.

I like my greenies. They have a spot in my world.