Just sharing some observed growth rates of SMB I'm collecting for next spring's brood stock.
Beings I was so far behind the curve last fall due to delayed building construction, I have started collecting breeders for winter tank stays.. we started collecting smb for breeders by angling methods and have been completely surprised by growth rates.
I've been using a suggested rate chart posted by Cody a few years back in Bass Resource. I'm also using the estimates for ave egg counts in that article for planning purposes.
In 2 hrs of absolute fun, we collected 11 fish from 2lbs to a surprising 6lbs 2 oz.
I had not "fished' this year targeting large SMB so they have really seen no pressure this year.
I had pit-tagged 14 fish last year of which we have collected 3 so far.
Here's my question to those who may have input: Why have about 40% of my fish exceeded the maximum suggested "fast" growth rate in NW KS at 3650' elevation at less than optimal growing temps or extended growth season length?
I've discussed some of this with my regional bio, his reaction is "wow"...
Of the fin-clipped fish I've been able to track for 3 years, I have slow, medium and fast rates represented, which I think I understand the reasons for some of this-I think I have a grasp anyway.
One condition present since last july that is different is my water clarity is much better and resulted in aquatic vegetation growth that has been REALLY hard to get started.
Water clarity had been an average of 14" and since my Alum treatment last July, I've averaged 29" checking twice a week and recording starting 4 days after that treatment.
Forage: BNM, GSH, RSH have increased substantially this summer, Craws have slowly been thinned down but still see a few.
I fish "nearly" every night for BG with worms, bugs and bust out the flyrod a few times a week. I'm trapping BG in Z traps (4) running twice a day realizing the BG was a mistake, I've made every effort I can to remove them. I'm getting about 1 RES for every 45-50 BG.
I'm using WAE in small numbers to help with BG and have caught 1 15" YP since mid May but I witnessed the massive number of egg ribbons so I know a lot of YP are being eaten.
This is the first year I've noticed large numbers of bullfrog tadpoles in the shallows but part of that may be better clarity is allowing visual confirmation.
Something is allowing/resulting in fast growth rates for the SMB and I have no complaints, but really noticed a big jump this year.
One of the largest SMB caught during this first effort regurgitated an 7.25" GSH that landed inches from the shore during a jump and it was very fresh so easily measured and confirmed.
Again, trying to understand and document changes occurring and why and I haven't been able to pin down the "why" yet.
Bottom line is I'm ending yr 4 but have yr 5 growth rates present with the lowest WR of the 11 fish collected so far being 107%, the highest at 121%, these fish are well above average.
I have not been able to find solid data on SMB growth rates within our State research that comes anywhere close to what I'm seeing but that's all large impoundment data.
Last summer I notice very abundant numbers of 6-10" SMB so I pulled 68 out. This year I have removed maybe 20 of the same size while fishing for BG.
Looking for suggestive input for the reason (and it sounds dumb) of pin-pointing the elements I'm managing correctly that are helping this along. I feel like I'm missing something like a "perfect storm a brewing".